dog training collars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abe

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been looking into buying an electronic collar for my lab. I was wondering if anybody has used some of the collars out there as this will be my first purchase for any training collar.
I'm looking for something that can double for training as well as close in upland hunting. I don't need something that can reach out a mile and zap him.
I'm leaning toward the Sportdog line, anyone used it or know of better?

Thanks in advance.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The electronic training collars are the greatest thing to come along since peanut butter.

My last two britts have been trained the old fashion way with some special enhancments that the collar offers.

Even though you said you didn't need one that would reach out and touch them a mile away, you should really consider getting one with the longest range you can afford. Reason is, if your in the field and during a lapse in your attention, or high grass, you can't see the dog, and he takes off after a bobcat or skunk, you can give the dog a correction. Nothing more frustrating that hitting the button and seeing him keep running.

All of this is my opinion of course, but I like the units that offer a beeper as well as the stimulus. Reason is, for obedience type training we have a large yard, so if we command him to come, and he ignores us we give him a beep. Its not loud, but the dog can hear it. If he doesn't do as directed, he gets a mild stimulation. Pretty quick they can be commanded by using only the beep.
I live in the country, but if one lived in the city, and the dog is going to run into the street or heads toward joggers, you can beep the animal, and I can guarentee you they will stop on a dime and come back.
Yes, I have strapped it on my arm and hit the button. Its like walking across carpet and touching a door knob.
I've tried three different brands from the mid priced ones up to the one I have now, and for me the Tri-tronics brand has lasted the longest and has the best features. I have the G15 Upland Pro. It will control three different dogs in the field at the same time. I also picked up the "beeper attachment" that goes on the dogs collar.(its very loud, and has a hi and low setting) Its also controlled by the remote. If I can't see the dog in high grass, the beeper comes on and they can be located that way. It has another feature, that if the dog is moving it stays off. If the dog quits moving for 5 seconds, like he is on point, it comes on as a hawk screech which helps to keep the bird that is pointed pinned to the ground.:D

Abe

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I imagine hitting the button with no response is very similar to the frustration I have now when my dog runs around, hears me holler, stops to look at me, and then reaches the assessment that he is having too much fun and continues on down the way.
I looked on the tri tronics website and I don't think they make the same model you had mentioned.
I really like the idea of being able to add on a beeper to the collar. I think that I have settled on an 800 yd model that can accommodate multiple dogs and an add on beeper to the unit for future expansion.

Thanks for the input Dennis.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I imagine hitting the button with no response is very similar to the frustration I have now when my dog runs around, hears me holler, stops to look at me, and then reaches the assessment that he is having too much fun and continues on down the way.
I looked on the tri tronics website and I don't think they make the same model you had mentioned.
I really like the idea of being able to add on a beeper to the collar. I think that I have settled on an 800 yd model that can accommodate multiple dogs and an add on beeper to the unit for future expansion.

Thanks for the input Dennis.

I've had that model for about 5 years now, so, I'm sure they have "improved it" and make a new model number.

Tri-Tronics has a real good customer service in my opinion. I've call the them a couple of time, and had good results.
Case in point, where I felt like a dumb a$$ is when I called them to say my beeper collar didn't beep... They told me to hold it up to my ear and do it.... and yes it did beep. Good enough for the dog. My old ears just couldn't hear it when I thought I should.

Abe

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I settled on a Sportdog Sporthunter 800.
After reading the included manual it looks like I have a bit more leash training before my dog is ready for an e-collar. They don recommend using it until your dog has all the basic commands set in stone. Still working on dog reliably working the here and heel commands. All in all the product and training material has been helpful and I'm still happy with the purchase, my only gripe is the 12hr required charge time. The next model up had a quick charge time of 2 hrs. Oh well.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I settled on a Sportdog Sporthunter 800.
After reading the included manual it looks like I have a bit more leash training before my dog is ready for an e-collar. They don recommend using it until your dog has all the basic commands set in stone. Still working on dog reliably working the here and heel commands. All in all the product and training material has been helpful and I'm still happy with the purchase, my only gripe is the 12hr required charge time. The next model up had a quick charge time of 2 hrs. Oh well.

That is the ticket.....train them the old fashioned way, and then keep the training fresh with the collar. I love training them. Its good for the dog, and good exercise for the trainer, and later on when all you have to do is call the dogs name, and point to another direction with a hand signal, its really rewarding to know the time put in has been a good thing. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom