Dogs and Rattlesnakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Snake vaccine sounds an awful lot like the Gates Bs on Fauci Flu biohazard vaccine. "It doesn't really work, but if you take it twice a year, forevermore, you will still catch it."

I can remember 6 dogs that were snake bit. Only 1 died, it was a Fiest, small dog , we were squirrel hunting, he chased a squirrel up a tree, jumped down and landed on a water moccasin.
Others were all birddogs, bitten by rattlers.

Snake proofing (training) is the best treatment. Dead snake and shock collar, they learn quickly.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here at my OKC ( 7 acres ) for quietness and less collateral damage I use my Ruger Single Six with CCI's LR birdshot to eradicate an unwanted snake that has found the goldfish pond ( rubber liner ) or the eggs in the chicken coop. Works really well from about 3 yards or less.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@OK Corgi Rancher - so, how's Rooster? Did you get him home?

Yeah... He spent 24 hours at the vet getting fluids and antivenom. We picked him up yesterday afternoon. He's still not feeling 100% but he's eating and drinking normally...just otherwise acting a little run down. We still have to worry about necrosis around the bite area but not seeing any signs yet. It's also possible to have some side effects from the antivenom called serum sickness. We haven't seen any signs of that yet so we're hopeful he's not going to have any.

In this photo (taken about 24 hours post bite) you can see the little dark spot in the tan fur just behind his snout. I'm speculating the snake didn't release a lot of venom with the bite mostly because, up to this point, his recovery has been pretty incredible and the bite didn't cause a whole lot of issues...at least not yet. I think it'll take about 2 weeks to be sure he won't suffer any immediate ill effects. No way of knowing if there will be any long term effects to organs like kidneys, heart or liver.

1725467656009.jpeg

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah... He spent 24 hours at the vet getting fluids and antivenom. We picked him up yesterday afternoon. He's still not feeling 100% but he's eating and drinking normally...just otherwise acting a little run down. We still have to worry about necrosis around the bite area but not seeing any signs yet. It's also possible to have some side effects from the antivenom called serum sickness. We haven't seen any signs of that yet so we're hopeful he's not going to have any.

In this photo (taken about 24 hours post bite) you can see the little dark spot in the tan fur just behind his snout. I'm speculating the snake didn't release a lot of venom with the bite mostly because, up to this point, his recovery has been pretty incredible and the bite didn't cause a whole lot of issues...at least not yet. I think it'll take about 2 weeks to be sure he won't suffer any immediate ill effects. No way of knowing if there will be any long term effects to organs like kidneys, heart or liver.

View attachment 508130

View attachment 508130

Yep. It could have been a ‘dry’ bite or like you said ‘not much venom’ hopefully you are past the worse

Lucky

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 508130
Good looking pup.

Latest posts

Top Bottom