Duck Dog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone has their own 'quirks' to training. Mine included.

Oh no doubt, there is no "right" way.

I forgot to congratulate you on the fine name for that noble beast! Of course that could come back to haunt you, Sue was not too fond of his name and spent his days trying to kill that man that gave him that awful name!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh no doubt, there is no "right" way.

I forgot to congratulate you on the fine name for that noble beast! Of course that could come back to haunt you, Sue was not too fond of his name and spent his days trying to kill that man that gave him that awful name!

"Fred, George or something..anything but Sue!" Lol. Just advice given to me by a couple of life long lab guys that I hunt with, and they both suggested skipping dove hunting until he's has a season of ducks to retreive. Dove season is usually hot and dry, and doves feathers tend to release easy and the dog ends up will a mouth full of feathers. Some labs will tolerate it, others won't, they just suggest that the dogs first true bird experience on a hunt, not be with doves. I don't take mine for doves unless there's shade and a pond, it's usually to hot and he's black. He doesn't mind the feathers. Good luck, it will be fun!

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about trying to raise/train a retriever around other dogs. I figure at training times would need to seperate them to pay attention to only you. Would something like my mutt dog and HER aussie (I had no desire to own a long hair dog) teach him bad habbits when they are running around all together in the backyard? May be looking into a duck dog in a year or two but I don't want the other dogs putting the dampener on the learning curve.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You addressed a point I was considering, Okie. I'll skip dove with him and might take him on an early season teal hunt while it's warm to get him used to the idea. Not sure.

As for his name, well, he'll have hell trying to kill me. lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom