Duck guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is your go-to duck gun?
I'm looking to upgrade mine for next season. I'm currently using an old 12g Remington Sportsman, with only 2 3/4" shells.
Chokes? Loads? Pump? Semi-auto?
I remember a thread about this sometime back, but I couldn't find it.
I was looking at a Mossberg 835 or a Benelli Nova. Tell me what you think.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
For the love of all that is holy...........don't buy a Mossberg 835. Ask justin_h635........the 835 is ported, he was already deaf, now everyone that hunts within 15' of him is deaf too. Ask him how many failure to fires and failure to load or extract it's had this year and missed opportunities at shots....DON'T DO IT MAN! :)

If you go pump, go Benelli Nova or Remington 870. If you go semi-auto, go Benelli M2, the Beretta waterfowl line is awesome, but several hundred dollars more than the Benelli M2. I've seen all the guns mentioned take birds year after year. I use an camo Italian O/U 3.5" and have for about 15 years now. There's been a few times where I wish I had a third shot, but the zero upkeep and goes bang no matter how much sand, snow, dirt, or cold I give it is worth only having 2 shots. I use 3" #2's for everything from teal to greaters, both of my chokes are modified.

Couple of the other guys I hunt with are hooked on the Winchester Blind Side ammo. I continue to buy the cheapest 3" #2's I can find. Birds at 25y or less falling into milo stubble doesn't require special loads IMO. Have shot some geese with 3.5" Black Cloud, steel doesn't recoil like lead so recoil even on the 3.5" out of the O/U is not bad.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will agree with the ported barrel point Okie made on the 835, but I have not had any of the other issues. Mine has been a workhorse and I have gotten every dollar out of it. It is my go to gun when I'm huntin any place hairy. It has been dropped in the mud, water, ripped off the 4w, shook on by the dog, you name it. Shot thousands and thousands of rounds through and I can't recall any problems that a good cleaning didn't solve. My dog is deaf as **** though after 12 years standing port side. That being said, if I had to do it over again, I would buy something else for a duck gun. I think there are other guns on the market that would be better suited for strictly duck huntin.

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After trying a couple cheaper guns that just gave me headaches, I bought a Benelli SBE2. I use it for everything except turkeys. Its lightweight and likes the high power duck loads.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
benelli m2 does everything i need. light enough to carry for walking birds and just right for flyin birds

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've got a couple of sets, when I shoulder a rifle or shotgun, whichever side I shoulder the gun up, pushes the ear piece up and uncovers most of my ear and drives me crazy. I'm good about always wearing hearing protection while shooting, but don't when hunting. Sitting off to the side of that 835 is the only gun that's ever rung me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a couple of sets, when I shoulder a rifle or shotgun, whichever side I shoulder the gun up, pushes the ear piece up and uncovers most of my ear and drives me crazy. I'm good about always wearing hearing protection while shooting, but don't when hunting. Sitting off to the side of that 835 is the only gun that's ever rung me.

Same here for the most part. The lo profile Howard Leights work really well on guns with a drop comb, like most standard shotguns, but an English stock does tend to drive them up and create a gap.

Now you know why I like shooting the Sweet 16. More of a heads up shooting gun that accommodates the muffs.

The alternative that a lot of three gun shooters use is the digital in the ear systems. Not cheap, but your hearing is nothing you want to waste.

don't ask me how I know that.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.
I'm thinking of looking at the Benellis. Really not badly priced at all for what it seems you get.
I'm really tired of having no options to shoot outside of the 2 3/4" shells. Really seems to limit my choices when there are so many great loads in 3" and 3 1/2"

Latest posts

Top Bottom