Duck guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great responses everyone. Thanks.
I'm finding some great prices on used Novas. Might have to go for one of those if it fits my small frame......I mean massive, muscular, intimidating frame.
:laughup:
You're probably not going to dig a Nova or 835 being small framed. Both feel like holding a landscape timber to me. And I'm a Benelli fan. Had two Novas and tried liking them but just too damned uncomfortable. My SBE1 just finished its 14th season with estimated 20k+ rounds through it. Love the fit of the SBE, hate the fit of the Nova.

I'm also a big fan of 870s. Not the SuperMag though. Sold mine due to reliability issues.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're probably not going to dig a Nova or 835 being small framed. Both feel like holding a landscape timber to me. And I'm a Benelli fan. Had two Novas and tried liking them but just too damned uncomfortable. My SBE1 just finished its 14th season with estimated 20k+ rounds through it. Love the fit of the SBE, hate the fit of the Nova.

Thanks, I'll definitely keep this in mind.
Great info here. I like 870s myself. Maintenance is easy and they go boom when I pull the trigger.
All things considered, I may not go with the Nova if I try it out and the fit is wrong.

Also been looking at the Winchester Super X Black Shadow http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/win...ge-pump-action-shotgun/pid-541653?N=385933179
or the CZ 612 Waterfowl http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-612-wildfowl-magnum-pump-12-26-3-5-chamber-mod-xfull-chokes-included/
but I honestly have not heard a lot about either of these shotguns. I know CZ makes some slick rifles, and I especially like their rimfires, but I know nothing about their shotguns.

JKinds

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot the SBEII and it has done great. I clean it twice a year, before duck season and after goose season. Never had it jam or ftf once. A hunting buddy recently purchased the Browning A5 and I must say it is a slick little gun and boy is it light.
Good luck with your purchase.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had my SBEII for 4 seasons now and it's the first auto loader I've ever had that can keep up with the abuse I put them through. I am tough on my waterfowl guns and the SBEII passes the test. I clean it at the split and at the end of goose season. Other than that, a swab down the barrel and a little Rem oil and she's ready to go. I've put several thousand rounds through that gun and had maybe 3 or 4 FTFs. It eats everything from light dove loads to 3.5" mags. Based on experience with friends in the field, the only other auto loading duck gun I would consider is the Browning Maxus. FWIW, none of the Remington autos have passed the test. Different story with the 870 of course. I shot a super mag for many years and it was a great duck gun as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom