Eating "rough" fish

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So it is the EOTWAWKI, all the canned and packaged food has been consumed. Have you ever considered eating "rough" fish? I'm talking about carp, gar and buffalo. I've eaten carp, we pressure cooked it and canned it, made "salmon" patties out of it, tasted real good. Alligator gar have a back strap that can be chopped out with a hatchet, very few bones in it. Dad used to roast buffalo fish on a stick, when he was a commercial fisherman, he said the meat was sweet. Anybody else got any ideas or recipes, and other types of fish that we usually don't think of for the table?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've tried carp and buffalo one time each.
Thought I was eating mud. I'm not against trying some more cooked differently than I did.
Gar is excellent table fare.

When your hungry it doesn't matter what fish you eat. I'd eat shad if I was hungry.

okdkranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
carp can be good cooked on coals wrapped in wet newspaper and then craft paper such as grocery bags. leave the skin on with scales and just clean it out, stuff with garlic, onion, pepper and salt, and some green onion and place on deep gray coals till the paper is nearly gone. when you unwrap the skin goes with it. Actually works with any fish. Catfish is great and avoids the skinning and bass is good too.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool, I have never heard of this method of cooking. Thanks for the info.

carp can be good cooked on coals wrapped in wet newspaper and then craft paper such as grocery bags. leave the skin on with scales and just clean it out, stuff with garlic, onion, pepper and salt, and some green onion and place on deep gray coals till the paper is nearly gone. when you unwrap the skin goes with it. Actually works with any fish. Catfish is great and avoids the skinning and bass is good too.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cut the red out of the carp and get it from a river and it is not muddy at all.
I have taken fresh and ground it in the meat grinder and made salmon patties.

I have eaten the raw carp when i was a kid and my drunk dad and his friends would not feed me on the fishing trip.
Raw right out of the lake while still cool is not too bad really.
Fills you up just fine.

Beware of turtle..at least the snapping turtle.. it needs cooked and treated like pork.. I got food poisoned from one when i was younger and living in the woods away from the drunk.
I did not cook it long enough..I was 14 at the time..salmonella ain't fun.

Raw fish never gave me any issues.

okdkranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just read my post and of course said it wrong. Wrap the fish in a couple layers of craft paper FIRST and then multiple layers news paper. When the newspaper is all charred down to the craft, the fish is done.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just read my post and of course said it wrong. Wrap the fish in a couple layers of craft paper FIRST and then multiple layers news paper. When the newspaper is all charred down to the craft, the fish is done.

That might be the neatest way to cook a fish that I've ever heard.

Latest posts

Top Bottom