Effective .380 ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSQUARE

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would stick with the xtp round or the v crown from sig. It seems to have the same results as the xtp rounds. I don't know if hornaday is making the American gunner round for the .380. It's the xtp also. I'll stick with my fiochi for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After watching a bunch of denim tests and reading a bunch of articles I only use Hornady. If you are looking for big gun performance out of your .380 you better create some magic. This sums it up pretty well but I use the Critical Defense which he tosses right off. lol

.380 is firmly in the camp of "better than nothing, but just barely"...

Last edited by a moderator:

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife uses Hornsby critical defense in her Bersa Thunder. I have carried that it my glock before. I now use hst's in 147g. I know some rounds are better than others but I like hornady's. They are reliable and offer decent performance. That is why I chose those for my wife. It's better than nothing.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone heard that shooting FMJ is better for self defense than JHP in a .380?

Yes. Dunno if it's true, but when I used to carry a Walther PPK/S, I carried Fiocchi 95 gr. FMJ in it. Why? Cause it ran flawlessly with it and I was fine with the round's effectiveness as long as I did my part. Some evidence points to FMJ giving much better penetration than. JHP in .380...and some doesn't. YMMV. Carry the round that your little .380 shoots best and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't the big issue anymore these days to not overpenetrate? Isn't that the big bugaboo about the 9mm? If the big kahona is to get under 12" of penetration with good expansion, why is a good, expanding .380 a "better than nothing round?" Depending on the platform that's shooting it, I think the .380 is nice. It's a peppy, low recoil round that's easy to put on target.

Latest posts

Top Bottom