Efficacy of 300 blackout for SD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getintouch98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all.

Searched and didn’t see this in a previous post so hopefully not a repeat. If it is please delete and link the posts. Sorry.

I’ve been noticing a lot of people promoting a backpack or truck gun in 300 blackout. While it is quiet and super compact, from what the gel tests seem to show most rounds (both sub and super) are in the 18+ penetration range and many much higher than that. In Texas we hunt hogs and a pass through or off side shoulder stop seems pretty common.

With that being said, wouldn’t that make it a bad SD round? Boars are really tough skinned and muscular animals. Wouldn't over penetration be a real concern in a SD situation?

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Vmax seems to be the only bullet that fits in the 12-18 penetration. It does a great job of blowing up and leaving shards everywhere.
I've shot deer with 110, 125, 168 and 180 ballistic tips. They all pretty much do the same thing as you described. Anything that will push that plastic tip into the hallow cavity it sits in will exacerbate expansion at high velocities, which leads to over penetration at close range. If you are looking for a SD round with reduced odds of over penetrating I would suggest a cast bullet over 200g going sub sonic. YMMV

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure there would be variations in terminal balistics between various bullet manufacturers, I can't help but to compare it with a very similar rifle cartridge, the 7.62x39. They are close in bullet weight and velocities. Think about the number of people killed by that round since it's creation nearly all with a FMJ bullet. I have a high degree of confidence in the 300BO for SD especially with a well designed hollow point or ballistic tipped bullet.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What bullet are you using?
110 V-max?

I would think lighter faster lighter jacket on the bullet would fix the over penetration.
110 V-max is the only bullet I will load in my 300 BLK. It’s the only round that I have found that is consistent and has not yielded a lost deer.

Last edited:

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have some heavy 220gr for subsonic zeroed in at 50 yds. I also have some 150gr soft point more for hunting longer distance. I wouldn’t want to be hit with either one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom