Emergency Heater...Kerosene or Propane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austin.brown

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Pretty much what the title says, which fuel source would you pick for you emergency indoors heater. I am looking for something to put in my garage and store some fuel for that will be used if the power goes out.

I saw a Mr. Buddy heater that runs off two of the little propane tanks. I think they can be refilled off a 20 lb tank but I am not sure, also this heater can be directly hooked to the 20lb tanks.

There was also a kerosene heater I saw a Wal Mart, I like that the fuel is not under pressure.

Anyway tell me what you think, and if one is not great for inside let me know.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I burn wood in the fireplace, but also have a small IR heater rigged to sit on top of a 20 lb. can. Neither is good for more than a week or so on its own. In a pinch though the Kerosene could be replaced with another fuel source (not safe but could be done rather than freeze.)

ncarper

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our primary back-up source for heat is a wood pellet stove; we have a generator hook-up to the house to power the stove as well as other essentials. We also have a back-up to the back-up; a propane blue flame heater hooked up to our house's main propane tank. We used to have a kerosene heater. It did a wonderful job heating. The big downside was the cost of kerosene as well as the trouble of refueling it. It has to be fueled outside and if you spill any it can be messy and of course highly flammable.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My vote would be for propane. When the a storm or disaster happens it will be tough to find kerosene. 20 pound grill tanks, probably not.

Also, for indoors kerosene does stink. Propane is not nearly as noxious IMO.

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Propane is my first choice, but I have K1 Kerosene as a backup to that. 2 is 1, 1 is none. Both will store long term, 10+ years. K1 is supposed to be odorless. You can buy bulk K1 Kerosene at Commercial Lubricators, 1350 Exchange Ave, just east of Cow Town. They have it at a gas pump, I filled a 55 gal Methane drum I got from a racing buddy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom