Coleman propane lanterns in 2023???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm doing some garage cleanup and I came across two Coleman's I've owned for years and wondering if any reason to store them (or maybe just keep one) considering all the battery powered LED lanterns I own too?

I have not been camping in years, but I wanted to see if there was a clear deciding factor why the propane lanterns were worth the storage space even though not used much. Only thing I can think of is the fact they put off a little heat and if i ever go camping again in colder weather, keeping one for the picnic table might be worth it? Realistiscally if I go camping I would probably take the battery lanterns anyway unless it was for an extended trip.

What would you do and why?

Seems like a dual fuel lantern would be the better SHTF choice once the batteries were gone.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both white gas and propane models. 3 or 4 of them. I'll never get rid of mine. While we have a whole home stand by generac generator with 1000 gallons of propane. The second home on our property is not connected to the generac and if we ever go camping I"ll use them. Also plan to get a travel trailer soon down the line and will be used for those situation for outside use. I think they are too valuable discard as not needed in an emergency situation and really, they don't take up much space. Also, and a big thing for me is the nostalgia of using them. There is just something about listening to the hiss of the lantern and the soothing light they produce. Yep, they are dirty, have to be refilled but I love having them provide my lighting.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are both antiques and way past their usefulness. I will gladly take them off of your hands and display them in my collection of useless items. Do you happen to have the stoves and bottles for them? I would also relieve your conscience of those.
That sounds like my wife. She wants me to discard some of mine. Says I have to many.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a stove too but the stove and the lanterns are not more than maybe 20-25yrs old no not antiques and it looks like they still sell the exact same ones I own. I just don't know where I will find propane bottles if SHTF...Seems like having a dual-fuel lantern would be better?

I'll keep them around for now; I really wasn't going to get rid of both anyway, just one if I do.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
The dual fuel lanterns are my favorite. I played with a few electric lanterns, but when its cold, or you aren't careful, they end up being useless. For me, I would leave batteries in the lanterns, and they would corrode while in storage and ruin the light. They aren't as adjustable in terms of output. My fuel lanterns produce a nicer light, and I can adjust them from being dim, to blindingly bright. Its easier for me to store the fuel in a bottle with my camping stuff, rather than ensure I have fresh batteries with me at all times. I wouldn't sell them for any reason.

To more specifically answer your question: I would keep them. Buy a few extra bottles to store with them, as well as an adapter hose to run them with your grill propane tank. I know last bad ice storm we had I was out of power for a week, and when I had time to charge stuff while driving my truck, phones and laptops came before lights. It was nice to have my propane lantern.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom