Coleman propane lanterns in 2023???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lately I've had a yearning to by an old white gas model off of ebay. Just a little nostalgia thinking back of all those camp trips as a kid and the thousands of strokes I spent pumping them up. I was even surprised to find you could still buy white gas at walmart. Maybe a Christmas present for myself.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend of mine decided to sky dive, he went up then jumped out about half way down he realized he didn’t know Jack about sky diving.

He looked over and another guy was coming up he hollered “ Hey you know anything about sky diving?”

The guy answered “No. You know anything about Coleman lanterns?”

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would hold onto them, a alternate source of lighting is not a bad thing.

As for LED type lights, consider ones that use the same batteries your power tools use.

I have ridged cordless power tools and at least a dozen batts that hold charge for a long time. Grab a few LED lights and you are good to go.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have my grandma’s old coal oil lamp in case we have an extended power outage. I’d think a propane lamp would have a similar utility; it’s not like propane in a bottle is going to go bad or evaporate any time soon.
We have several of those hurricane lamps in the house that are over a hundred years old. You can still get wicks for them, and they will provide light for months with a 5 gallon jug of lamp oil if it gets bad. The new lamp fuels don't smell like coal oil or kerosene.
Those are used for short term power outages though and house decorations. If long term the gas generators come on to keep the wife cool or warm depending on the season.
We still have a propane lantern and a Coleman double mantle lantern if needed. Kids and I spent a lot of time fishing with the Coleman on docks at Lake Ponca at night for catfish. Had to cut a beer can as a reflector for the back side so we could see the poles and stay in the dark, away from the insects. The leather cup on the plunger would dry out occasionally. Some oil off the dipstick of the truck worked into the leather would keep it going for another year or two.

Latest posts

Top Bottom