Emp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyboy123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to learn about EMP and the potential effects it would have on this country, try reading One Second After.
This was the first book I read like this, that really got my attention. I read Patriots after that. EMP is the worst case
scenario we could face. There are several ways to build home made Faraday cages to protect sensitive electronics.

I use a multi layer approach. I start with static bag like you find many electronics come packed in. Here is a site that
sells these. http://www.bestchoicepreps.com/category/BAGSTATIC.html

I them warp the object in packaging form and tinfoil. I them place it in another larger static bag. Any sealed metal box
will act as a Faraday cage, as long as the object you are trying to protect is insulated from the box. Ammo cans, safes,
old microwaves, the list goes on. I keep my MURs radio sealed like this in a metal Ammo box in my trunk. I have spares
at home and at the farm protected in similar fashion.

Modern vehicles are a big problem since EMP burns out any micro circuitry. Since all cars have many computers in them,
the odds aren't good. Vehicles prior to 1974 have the best chance of survival. Something with points and condenser. You
can keep spare parts for these just in case.

I am working on setting up my son's car spare care to hopefully be EMP proof. There is only one computer in this, and it's
easily removed. Put that away in a Faraday cage / box and even bury it in the ground as a final measure. 2 feet of soil is
one of the best ways to protect things. I am going to drill a hole in the garage floor next to the front end of the vehicle and
drive a copper ground rod through the hole into the ground, 7-8 feet down. Then mount a ground strap from the vehicle
ground to the copper ground rod. This should help to protect the overall vehicle. This particular car has magnetic pickups on
the flywheel, I will warp those wires and sensors with tin foil and then use a wire with alligator clips on each end to connect
to the ground rod. Hopefully the rest of the cars wiring will be OK with the other measures I have taken.

Your right on the money Chevyboy, I just bought a 1988 Ford F250 diesel. 7.3L, 5 speed, 4wd. Found it on Craigslist with 89000
original miles. I've been told this truck does have some kind of computer that controls the fuel pump. I will look into it and rig a
hot wire to bypass the computer.

All it has is a hot wire to the pump
You can get a replacement part for cheap it's in the top cover of the pump and can be changed with the pump still on the truck.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I dont worry about EMP attacks. If they happen we've got bigger worries, like war.

If we get hit with a "natural" EMP, insurance will cover it, lol.

Ill take my chances with prepping for other natural disasters and economic collapse.

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont worry about EMP attacks. If they happen we've got bigger worries, like war.

If we get hit with a "natural" EMP, insurance will cover it, lol.

Ill take my chances with prepping for other natural disasters and economic collapse.

I think it best to consider all possibilities. Most preps overlap all areas, other than a specialized vehicle, it doesn't take that much to have some backup radios that are shielded. I keep a laptop protected, one I have loaded with all kinds of PDF files and books. One that isn't ever connected to the net.

One Second After was written by a Military historian. It's a good story, but the main point I got from the book was the effects on society. What happens to the flow of food and medicine once there is no power, whether it is from an EMP or a terrorist attack on the electrical grid. No power means no gas, no food, no meds, no brown truck of happiness.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
..main point I got from the book was the effects on society. What happens to the flow of food and medicine once there is no power, whether it is from an EMP or a terrorist attack on the electrical grid. No power means no gas, no food, no meds, no brown truck of happiness.

Indeed. What's the saying? 3 meals away from anarchy?

Latest posts

Top Bottom