Enid police investigating homicide after reported burglary attempt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The way I understand it, 2 people were breaking into a home to steal, they were stopped and ran away, as they fled the homeowner fired a handgun killing one, a 14 year old boy. The remaining home invader, a 19 yr. old man has been charged using the felony murder rule.

My question is, if they were fleeing, were they in the commission of a crime? Guess the Courts will figure it out.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I’m curious. One of you lawyer types need to answer this. This is a copy/paste from the article.

“Those submitting a tip could earn a reward up to $1,000 and will not be required to testify nor be identified.”

How can they use this information and NOT be required to testify or be identified?
Crimestoppers sets up a hotline number you call and get an ID number. You give you information and if it is the major break they need to develop more investigations and arrest and then convict the persons involved you call back and give your ID number to get your money.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Crimestoppers sets up a hotline number you call and get an ID number. You give you information and if it is the major break they need to develop more investigations and arrest and then convict the persons involved you call back and give your ID number to get your money.
Of course during that transaction, nobody knows your name. The money has to be sent somewhere, be it a bank or whatever other than a dead drop at some remote location and the location is danged sure to be on a gps somewhere. Nothing is anonymous.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Ok, I get how reporting it works, BUT, again,

How can they use this information and the reporting person(s) NOT be required to testify or be identified?

At some point in time a defense attorney is going to want to know WHO the information came from and HOW this information was received.

IIRC there is something in the law that says a person has a right to face their accuser.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've wondered about all that as well, I'm speculating, but this is what I've kind of assumed...

I assume the police want to first, get ANY information (even if anonymous) to identify and locate a suspect.

Once you have a suspect, it's probably easier to gather corroborating evidence independently from the anonymous source. You have a specific direction to go, at least. The hope would be that you could get enough for a conviction without using information from the anonymous source.

Doesn't payment of a reward usually depend on conviction? If so, risk would seem to be relatively low. If you can't get corroborating evidence sufficient to convict, no pay out.

They probably assume there will be some cases where there is pay out with no conviction, but are willing to accept the risk in hopes of solving more cases.

I hope someone actually familiar with the process chimes in, as that all makes sense but maybe only in my head.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I get how reporting it works, BUT, again,

How can they use this information and the reporting person(s) NOT be required to testify or be identified?

At some point in time a defense attorney is going to want to know WHO the information came from and HOW this information was received.

IIRC there is something in the law that says a person has a right to face their accuser.
Crimestoppers is specifically set up to keep the informant completely unknown.

Case law calls it privileged communication and thus is excluded.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they use the evidence directly, they would likely have to be identified and testify, but it doesn't have to be used directly. If you call in and say "I saw John Smith in the vicinity at the time," and the police investigate and discover that John Smith was, in fact, the perp, your tip led to the development of the evidence, but it isn't evidence itself. In fact, the tip you provide could be completely inadmissible (hearsay, perhaps); all it has to do is get the investigators on the right track to find real evidence.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What a sad story on multiple levels.
To follow the logic of the Left, a new social action group should be formed to demand that marijuana be outlawed.... Obviously it is spawning violence.
To return to the real world, however, the fallen nature of man is at fault and can never be legislated away.

Latest posts

Top Bottom