Entry Level AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

RedRiverRifleman

Newcomer here,
I was needing a guide to what would be a good AR to start with, $700-800.
I would like comments over DPMS, Olympic arms, stag arms, or spikes tactical. Which models can be upgraded to something I want, or should I buy separate uppers and lowers and have a gunsmith put one together. Thank for your comments and patience.

1S1K

Consider building a lower by yourself, you will learn how the parts work and be able to do your own upgrades when you decide to. Start by picking a milspec lower that appeals to you. If ever you need help I bet one of us here will be willing to.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Newcomer here,
I was needing a guide to what would be a good AR to start with, $700-800.
I would like comments over DPMS, Olympic arms, stag arms, or spikes tactical. Which models can be upgraded to something I want, or should I buy separate uppers and lowers and have a gunsmith put one together. Thank for your comments and patience.
Stag, Spikes, DPMS, Rock River, and of these are great starter AR. You can always do upgrades after you get it.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Rijas Custom Service.... Start there

Is it worth the drive?

He's being sarcastic. They're a joke.

Of the four you listed, I'd look at the Stag or Spike's. Both offer complete uppers that you can put on any standard lower; as well as complete rifles.

Don't worry about paying a gunsmith. If you can change oil in your car, you can build an AR. The only difficult part is the barrel nut, only because it requires a receiver block and vise. But as cheap as they are, you can just buy a complete upper half, build a lower, and go. I built mine (my first) in about 45 minutes going through a pictorial guide on another forum, going slow to verify each step looked like it was supposed to.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard the bcm stuff is good ****! Think they have a diy kit. Also another company, but can't think of the name. Rock River Arms I heard is a good one. Check out the nutnfancy review on youtube about it.

J

Jckellison

Guess I should have italicized the Rijas comment lol.

All kidding aside, I'm a huge fan of Rock River, Spikes, and Bravo Co products. DPMS makes a great product, especially in the entry market, but in the grand scheme of things, you have a much better gun for minimal extra cost to one of the three mentioned above.

While I in no way advocate the biggest company in the world, or any product they sell, there are some good AR deals at walmart. Saw a DPMS mid-length all Magpul'd out for $800 the other day.
Welcome to the forum btw.

R

RedRiverRifleman

Thank you all for all the suggestions. I'm not doubting my mechanical skills but I've looked into building my own and I would need a lot of help building it. Q: If I am building my own, I need a complete upper and lower and what else as far as tools? I've seen some sites that require a 1000 kit of tools..