Entry Level AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

RedRiverRifleman

Sorry that was directed towards wormy dog. When I think of a lower I think of the stripped lower, lpk, grip, and maybe the buffer tube.. I don't know if I see $300 In just that. That's why I was asking.
Gotcha. Still on the hunt though if any y'all had more suggestions.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry that was directed towards wormy dog. When I think of a lower I think of the stripped lower, lpk, grip, and maybe the buffer tube.. I don't know if I see $300 In just that. That's why I was asking.

Depends what parts you use. Put in a Geissele trigger @ $200+, you hit $300 fast.

Lower $85 (cost + shipping + transfer)
LPK $60
Ergo or MagPul grip $20
CTR stock kit $150

That said, for an entry level rifle, you can put together a PSA 16" middy with Magpul furniture for sub $750.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/lower-receivers/psa-ar15-lower.html
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/build-kits/moe-lower-build-kit.html
http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...s/psa-16-223-wylde-stainless-steel-upper.html

J

Jckellison

you cant possibly be serious.

I could build a BCM for that much. Maybe $800. The upper is....what $450 plus BCG is $150...BCM chargind handle $45 so you got $650ish in the upper alone. Complete lower about $200

You can't beat a $1200 DTI 16" base model that'll shoot a five shot sub .25 MOA at 400 yards... Don't even get me priding out that unbeatable warrantee! lol... All in jest

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Newcomer here,
I was needing a guide to what would be a good AR to start with, $700-800.
I would like comments over DPMS, Olympic arms, stag arms, or spikes tactical. Which models can be upgraded to something I want, or should I buy separate uppers and lowers and have a gunsmith put one together. Thank for your comments and patience.

This pretty much sums up the question that I was going to pose to the forum. I'm entertaining the idea of purchasing an AR and have NO idea where to start. For years, I've enjoyed the "precision" (most decent rifles have the inherent ability to be more accurate than I can shoot anyway) of my bolt action rifles. To be honest, I'm just thinking that an AR looks like a lot of fun. I've been doing a little bit of reading online, and so far I seem to favor the idea of a piston driven system over a direct gas injection and have been looking at the Sig 556 line. Any thoughts? Also, one review I read of the Sig 556 DMR claims that it uses DGI (when all the others use a piston driven system). Is this true? The reason I ask is that the review also mentioned a 21" barrel (the sig site shows 18") and I can't find the answer on the sig site.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is the problem guys. The AR platform functions just fine as a "Base" model weapon. No frills, no bells and whistles. Buy a Del-Ton, Or a DPMS for around $700.00, and then if you're not happy start changing what you don't like out. The theory with AR owners is that they have to have the latest "fad" in the black rifle cirle or the rifle is junk. CTR, UTG, Sopmod this, tacticool that. BAH says I..... The extra expensive crap that is being bolted on doesn't make the rifle, it just looks tacticool.

Do yourself a favor and buy a base model rifle and around 1000 rounds of good ammo. Shoot the gun and enjoy it just the way it was designed. Later on when you get the itch to be tacticool you can bolt whatever you want to on the thing. JMHO.

Cheers.