Entry Level AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is the problem guys. The AR platform functions just fine as a "Base" model weapon. No frills, no bells and whistles. Buy a Del-Ton, Or a DPMS for around $700.00, and then if you're not happy start changing what you don't like out. The theory with AR owners is that they have to have the latest "fad" in the black rifle cirle or the rifle is junk. CTR, UTG, Sopmod this, tacticool that. BAH says I..... The extra expensive crap that is being bolted on doesn't make the rifle, it just looks tacticool.

Do yourself a favor and buy a base model rifle and around 1000 rounds of good ammo. Shoot the gun and enjoy it just the way it was designed. Later on when you get the itch to be tacticool you can bolt whatever you want to on the thing. JMHO.

Cheers.

Good advice. Buy a plain jane version, learn to shoot/maintain it first and then start looking at accesories to make it work better for you. Never buy something just because it "looks cool".

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't believe putting stuff on your rifle just to make it look cool. Functionality > Form. It just so happens that a lot of the stuff that makes a rifle shoot softer, more comfortable, more accurate, and more modular also looks badass and "tacticool".

R

RedRiverRifleman

So what should be on there? I have done some research on magpul furniture, cmmg immortal mags, sig 552 or 551 (feel free to correct me.) , fore grips, flip up sights, plastic mags..etc. What do you guys think of Windham weaponry and del-ton? I know they were both bush master machinists and that Windham is slightly more expensive. Thoughts?

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Delton sucks. Cheap but they suck. Poor quality control and workmanship. And I don't give a **** about you guys who are going to say "but I have a 100 rounds through and no problems yet. I'm going to put 100 more through and report back." those posts are worthless.

All that extra stuff is pretty much worthless until you know how to run an AR and you discover what your weaknesses are with the platform and what can help improve that. Comps help with muzzle control. Optics help with accuracy at distance. Foregrips are worthless in my opinion but some claim they help with comfort and control. Mags, get pmags and be done. Bad levers or ready mags help with reloads. Shoot it first, improve it later. But for the love of st. hudson, start with a solid rifle first. (NOT delton).

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Delton sucks. Cheap but they suck. Poor quality control and workmanship. And I don't give a **** about you guys who are going to say "but I have a 100 rounds through and no problems yet. I'm going to put 100 more through and report back." those posts are worthless.

All that extra stuff is pretty much worthless until you know how to run an AR and you discover what your weaknesses are with the platform and what can help improve that. Comps help with muzzle control. Optics help with accuracy at distance. Foregrips are worthless in my opinion but some claim they help with comfort and control. Mags, get pmags and be done. Bad levers or ready mags help with reloads. Shoot it first, improve it later. But for the love of st. hudson, start with a solid rifle first. (NOT delton).

I made the mistake of buying a Delton ONCE. Take this advice...DONT DO IT!!!! S&W M&P AR's are priced "lower end" and are much better.

Shakkazombie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Were I buying my entry rifle again, I would seriously consider buying a Colt 6920. They're going for around $980 or so.

I would probably choose what I chose the first time (BCM upper, Rainier Arms lower), but still, that's a hell of a deal.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Colt is not an entry level rifle. Thats like buying a Mercedes for your first vehicle. Granted the workmanship and quality are unbeatable but he may not even like the AR platform after he buys one.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Well.... I have had Del-Ton fifles...... AND I have put thousands of rounds thru them. I am not that picky and don't need the WOW factor. They are inexpensive, fun to shoot, and they function as well as any other AR I have owned. It is the shooter and not gun guys. I suck just as bad with a Colt as I do a Del-Ton. If I can keep a group the size of a pie pan at 100 yards that is good enuff for me. I'm not shooting competitively. I am guessing the OP won't be either.