expanding cavity on bullet mold

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have discussed else where that I purchased a Master Caster single mold bullet machine. It is automated and makes 500 heavy and 900 light bullets an hour, just keep adding lead to the 50# pot.

Magma molds are a bit rare. There are RCBS, Saeco, and Lyman that have been converted. One of the dozens molds I ended up with is marked 45LC-300 grain. My guess is that this was used for silhouette shooting in a 45LC back in the 90s. Both cavities originally cast around .452". Would like to get a .458" 300 grn for 45-70.

From CastBoolits, using SAXGUY's method "Expanding a boolit mould the "WEET" method." to get to .459" or so. Lots of hours using a knurled bullet cast from the mold coated with polishing compound and turning with a screw in it's base. Cast a few on Friday while smelting 140# of COWW. This cavity bullet is now sized by pushing thru a .458" bushing. right bullets in picture were colored blue with marker, sized .458 and show that most of the OD is being sized. will selectively enlarge the forward driving band a bit more. may leave the non-lapped mold small to have the heavy 45LC bullet.

Attachments

• 458 sized bullet.JPG
    458 sized bullet.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 9

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you decide to expand it some more, get a 1/2" hex nut, lay it on the melt to get hot, now
open spru plate and place the nut centered as best as you can on top of the open cavity,
now cast a boolit being careful not to let the nut move.
Now you have a better way to turn the lapping boolit both directions

Devon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have discussed else where that I purchased a Master Caster single mold bullet machine. It is automated and makes 500 heavy and 900 light bullets an hour, just keep adding lead to the 50# pot.

Magma molds are a bit rare. There are RCBS, Saeco, and Lyman that have been converted. One of the dozens molds I ended up with is marked 45LC-300 grain. My guess is that this was used for silhouette shooting in a 45LC back in the 90s. Both cavities originally cast around .452". Would like to get a .458" 300 grn for 45-70.

From CastBoolits, using SAXGUY's method "Expanding a boolit mould the "WEET" method." to get to .459" or so. Lots of hours using a knurled bullet cast from the mold coated with polishing compound and turning with a screw in it's base. Cast a few on Friday while smelting 140# of COWW. This cavity bullet is now sized by pushing thru a .458" bushing. right bullets in picture were colored blue with marker, sized .458 and show that most of the OD is being sized. will selectively enlarge the forward driving band a bit more. may leave the non-lapped mold small to have the heavy 45LC bullet.
There is a guy on 24hourcampfire.com that has posted a bunch of magma molds for a decent price. You might want to take a look. $30 per.

Latest posts

Top Bottom