Eye sight prep

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of people wear contacts or glasses. Something that may be easy to overlook is having extras of such in case of an emergency, especially glasses. Even the best of contacts only last so long these days.

I was about to throw out some old pairs of glasses from over the years, and stopped myself. While the frames may be a little old and worn, they function perfectly well, especially in case of an emergency. I'd rather be wearing an old pair, than have horrible sight not having any. Time to put them in some hard cases and stash them with my BOB.

Just wanted to pass this along to those of you that have less than perfect vision and require the crutch of glasses or contacts. Something that some may not have thought about.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got the ultimate eye sight prep over 10 years ago. PRK to both eyes. Had an eye exam two weeks ago and I was still 20-15 in both eyes....laser enhanced baby!!!

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wore the same pair of glasses for over 10 years. The frames got pretty ratty and wound up breaking one of the ear pieces up by the hinge once. I repaired them with, of all things, superglue. I still have them and they're still in tact. The lenses are pretty scratched up, although not really noticeable when you're wearing them. A couple of years ago, I went to the eye doctor and got an eye exam. My prescription is the same. I got 2 new, cheap pairs of glasses at Eyemart Express. The nose pads broke out of both of them in less than a year. I bought replacement nose pads on Amazon and repaired them myself.

I now have 3 pairs of glasses in my prescription, not counting my prescription sunglasses (also bought at Eyemart Express, also had to replace the nose pads in them). I can't do contacts. I'm sure I could get contacts made in my prescription, but there's no way I'd ever be able to put them in. I'm thinking about also getting some goggles in my prescription to wear while shooting since my glasses don't give me full coverage from hot gasses or flying brass (and we all know how fun it is to have a piece of hot brass wiggle down between your glasses and your eyeball....).

A spare is always good to have. What's the saying? "Two is one and one is none." Or something like that.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've thought about doing that, but the thought just freaks me out a bit.

Not everyone is a candidate, unfortunately. Due to an autoimmune disease I can't have Lasik and can't wear contacts. Being a Pilot, I'd really like to get rid of my glasses but I can't, so I have to wear glasses. It's not THAT big of a deal since I wear sunglasses any time I am outside anyway. Having a script gives me a good excuse to get good quality sunglasses. I keep an extra pair of eye glasses in each car, the tornado bag and my hunting pack.

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its like a radial phone...old news.

You know, you say that, but I have a "radial phone" (I always heard them called "rotary phones") hanging on my kitchen wall. The phone was originally "Harvest Gold". Between the fading and exposure to dust over the years, it's more brown than anything else, but it still works. It's a pain in the arse to make outgoing calls on, though, especially long distance calls.

Latest posts

Top Bottom