Fake police on I40 (?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I'm assuming my son knows all of this since he's LEO. He did call to see if there were any pickups working I40. There weren't supposed to be and like I said calling in the tag number on that car would be a dead give away an LEO or close family would be driving it.

So are you thinking a fake would call the tag number in and find out it was a LEO or close family and be spooked away? I am trying to figure out how the tag number is relative.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So are you thinking a fake would call the tag number in and find out it was a LEO or close family and be spooked away? I am trying to figure out how the tag number is relative.

I think he is saying if it were a LEGIT LEO, they would have recognized the name on the registration when they called it in. Because this person didn't mention that, it seems he did NOT run the tag (because if he were fake he couldn't), and wouldn't know to ask about any LEO connecitons. I dunno, that's the way I took it.

Personally, I think it way more suspicious that he initiated a stop and then just bolted when asked for his badge number. Mui no bueno.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its not required on Ok.
That would lend to the stop being bogus then, assuming Oklahoma LE would know that and wouldn't ask for it.

But I wonder...
Traveling to other states, its required.
... is it really? Or is it similar to front license plates - only required if the car is registered in a state that requires them?

reade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This might be the topic for another thread but what would be the best thing(s) to do when stopped by a suspicious cop car? This info needs to be understood and passed on to our loved ones.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This might be the topic for another thread but what would be the best thing(s) to do when stopped by a suspicious cop car? This info needs to be understood and passed on to our loved ones.

I've asked about this, specifically with the sneaky and underhanded unmarked cars the police use for traffic enforcement. Seems that in such situations, you'd be OK driving slowly on, perhaps with your hazard lights flashing, until you got to a public place like a QuikTrip or a police / fire station before you stopped. If you have a phone, you can also call 911 (not sure about this; perhaps the non-emergency police number if you have that programmed) and explain the situation, and ask if there's a police officer attempting a stop at your location.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK Statute 47-1151

The above pops up in arrests on a regular basis. As such, while it may not be "required" that one carry registration, I think it would be advisable to do so in the event that an officer decides to check to see if one is actually the registered owner. Trust me, computer systems can go down and an officer may not have any other recourse to determine whether a vehicle is stolen or not.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been out of law enforcement for a while and things change, but putting LEO type light bars on personally owned vehicles is against the law. Unmarked police vehicles had to have a uniformed officer when doing traffic stops. If you see what appears to be a police vehicle and it has a non government tag, chances are that it is some wannabees attempt to be something they aren't. A few years ago, a retired OHP buddy of mine and I were coming out of a convenience store and saw a black unmarked unit sitting running in front. It had a working radar unit and radio. We walked around looking at it and saw a non governmental tag on it. He immediately called the trooper working the area and gave him the tag and info. It turned out that the young man was wanting to work security, had bought the vehicle at auction and the equipment had never been removed prior to sale.. His vehicle matched the description of the one described in a robbery that turned out to be a false event. Scared the crap out of him when OCPD got through with interrogating him about the reported robbery. He promptly sold the vehicle and decided he didn't want any part of playing policeman.. That is just one example of what is out there..

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad the problem turned out ,not too bad... ;)
OK Statute 47-1151

The above pops up in arrests on a regular basis. As such, while it may not be "required" that one carry registration, I think it would be advisable to do so in the event that an officer decides to check to see if one is actually the registered owner. Trust me, computer systems can go down and an officer may not have any other recourse to determine whether a vehicle is stolen or not.
Bad idea carrying reg....if vehicle is stolen....thief has registration

take that and $1.50 and enjoy some coffee......Merry Christmas

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Uh, nooooooo.

I think he is saying if it were a LEGIT LEO, they would have recognized the name on the registration when they called it in. Because this person didn't mention that, it seems he did NOT run the tag (because if he were fake he couldn't), and wouldn't know to ask about any LEO connecitons. I dunno, that's the way I took it.

Personally, I think it way more suspicious that he initiated a stop and then just bolted when asked for his badge number. Mui no bueno.

Winner winner chicken dinner. It may be I just expect them to call the tag in because I watch too many cop shows on tv.

I talked with my granddaughter this morning, I think she was pulled over by one of the lights you see movie cops put on the dash.

Oh and ignernt, we got no problem.

Latest posts

Top Bottom