Fake police on I40 (?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it lake patrol that is OHP or park ranger that is a state park ranger in the pick up? Last I saw, the OHP Lake Patrol is in a Tahoe.

OHP is Lake Patrol. They use pickups also.

Also more and more rural towns are getting pickups. I have never actually seen the OHP pickups with out a boat behind them. Certainly never seen them have anyone pulled over.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not that I'm accusing or anything, but most 17 year olds will stretch the truth... so who knows how much of the story you're getting and how much of it you're not. Did she say "what's your badge number?" and the guy immediately ran off?

If it was dark and foggy, who knows the situation.

Now, let's assume the stop was legit... there are a few reasons that an officer might abandon a traffic stop and rush off. Traffic stops (frankly, all aspects of police work) are all about priorities. Again, assuming it's a legit stop, and he pulled her over for a broken headlight or speeding 10 over (what 17 year old isn't doing that on a daily basis?). If he walks up to the car, asks for her license and insurance (not registration in OK) and suddenly his radio chimes off about another officer in need of emergency assistance, or a medical emergency..... OR.... what is all-too-common, some jackwagon on the highway that didn't move over to the left lane and flew by at mach 3, 2' off the officer's butt (clearly I've never had such a thing happen to me :) ), then it wouldn't be uncommon or out of line at all to quickly give the driver back their stuff and take off to the situation that needs attention. It would of course be courteous and appropriate to at least tell them "I've got another call that I need to attend to... you get a free pass... slow down!" and rush back to the car, but not everybody is like that. :/

Was the officer in a uniform? First you said the pickup had a lightbar, then you mentioned earlier it may have been a kojack bubble.

I'm not accusing or anything in this post, merely offering possible explanations for the story you gave. There's nothing at all wrong with being cautious.

As for the vehicle he was in, pickups are becoming pretty popular as patrol vehicles... Roger Mills County has several of them (in fact, I "think" they only have one unit that ISN'T a pickup) and they are random colors too, not the conventional white or black.

I was wrong it was a light bar, she said light bar, like her dad's I was thinking outside, then she said inside I was think Kojak bubble, I forgot he has led's about visor height inside. As for her being 17 , yeahhh, but there was no reason for it, she was on her way home form her dads, she wasn't on a clock, she had already called to say she would be slow because it was foggy. She was concerned enough about the stop to call dad (not my first instinct as a 17 year old), he was the one who told her to get the guys badge number, so I dunno. I don't think she was ever asked for her license, when she mentioned badge number, he asked for registration and insurance, but that me telling you what her memories are. And we've both slept since then.
Anyway, all I intended was driver beware.

Yeah... it happens. I think it's stupid as can be, but some people need to drive a big truck to feel important. Other than a few snow storms a year, they're just worthless IMO.

I didn't pay a lot of attention to it other than to see the police on the side of it, but it was one of those sport 4 doors with about 1/2 the normal bed. I was too busy trying to see whey they had the guy pulling off his shoes.

Don't some of the county guys buy their own and then get a stipend for using it?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am out on this. Its starting to sound like its growing a tail. My questions when quoting somebody was directly questioning what they saw. I wasn't asking because I didn't know. Yes I realize OHP uses various vehicles all over the state of Oklahoma. I know the Lake Patrolman assigned to Foss Lake and what vehicle he is assigned. Sounds like to me the original threat is a non issue now.

Itchyfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Were the lights blue/red? Didn't see that you posted up one or or the other. And FWIW, I have a friend that is OHP that drives a black Ford pickup truck. I think he would pull you over if you were blatantly breaking the law, but that's about it. He's over the lake division, or recently was until a promotion a few months ago.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Washita County does have officers in pick ups.

They also have an old Blazer. Last time I saw it out on I-40 was a couple of years ago, though, under the overpass by Canute. I think that was a "lucky" day, though, because I'd spent a lot of time next door to the old county jail the years before that and never saw it move...

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah... it happens. I think it's stupid as can be, but some people need to drive a big truck to feel important. Other than a few snow storms a year, they're just worthless IMO.

A lot of small departments provide aid to rest of the county as first responders. There's a lot of roads here that you can't get down in a Crown Vic or Charger without scraping the hell out of the bottom.

It's not uncommon around here to see a muni PD car or truck 8-10 miles (and sometimes further) out of town assisting on an accident or something else.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What "registration" are y'all talking about carrying in the vehicle. I have never gotten anything but a receipt and a printout from the tag agency. Having lived in places where they provide a registration form, this sure in hell is not what I get.

Did I miss something in the last 18 times I tagged or retagged a vehicle here?

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was wrong it was a light bar, she said light bar, like her dad's I was thinking outside, then she said inside I was think Kojak bubble, I forgot he has led's about visor height inside. As for her being 17 , yeahhh, but there was no reason for it, she was on her way home form her dads, she wasn't on a clock, she had already called to say she would be slow because it was foggy. She was concerned enough about the stop to call dad (not my first instinct as a 17 year old), he was the one who told her to get the guys badge number, so I dunno. I don't think she was ever asked for her license, when she mentioned badge number, he asked for registration and insurance, but that me telling you what her memories are. And we've both slept since then.
Anyway, all I intended was driver beware.

I didn't pay a lot of attention to it other than to see the police on the side of it, but it was one of those sport 4 doors with about 1/2 the normal bed. I was too busy trying to see whey they had the guy pulling off his shoes.

Don't some of the county guys buy their own and then get a stipend for using it?

No worries, I'm not questioning the validity of the story per se, merely trying to get the story to offer anything that might ease your mind. :)You know how it is, there are three sides to every story... your side, my side and the truth.

As far as I know, there aren't any departments in the state anymore that will allow the conversion of a POV short of an extenuating circumstance. For instance, a Trooper I went to high school with and consequently ran traffic with often since he was assigned to my area, used his 4wd pickup during the blizzard, but obviously that's a very rare circumstance and it isn't out running traffic in it, simply limited response. In fact, that storm... I was assigned a M35 Deuce... no heat, no power steering... nothing (although with as much work driving it was, I was shedding layers). Suffice to say, my dinger was the biggest around town. O.o

A lot of small departments provide aid to rest of the county as first responders. There's a lot of roads here that you can't get down in a Crown Vic or Charger without scraping the hell out of the bottom.

It's not uncommon around here to see a muni PD car or truck 8-10 miles (and sometimes further) out of town assisting on an accident or something else.

Mutual aid is indeed very common, but I'd be willing to risk it saying 90%+ of the roads in Oklahoma are perfectly passable in a Vic. 75%+ for a Charger. They just aren't practical in most cases for police work. Hose monkeys, sure... not police work.

Were the lights blue/red? Didn't see that you posted up one or or the other. And FWIW, I have a friend that is OHP that drives a black Ford pickup truck. I think he would pull you over if you were blatantly breaking the law, but that's about it. He's over the lake division, or recently was until a promotion a few months ago.

Anymore, all sorts of vehicles have red and blue... wreckers, contractors, sand trucks.... I don't like it, but my opinion plus $0.45 will barely pay for a phone call from a payphone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom