Fakes and Forgeries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All that on a rifle that is worth, at most, what, like $350?! That requires a lot of time, effort, and hardware to make something worth maybe $50-100 more. Some people are unbelievable.

That was probably a test piece. The last rifle pictured is a paratrooper rifle and a mum can add a thousand if the auction swings that way.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont know how people can justify an all matching all original piece when it comes to M1's and carbines. Nothings numbered so how can you tell if just going by makers marks?

It's the cartouches that are faked - anyone who collects M1 Garands and Carbines should know there's no such thing as an all matching M1. If they get taken otherwise, they deserve it for not doing some very basic homework first. All-original M1s are so exceedingly rare, any rifle claimed as such without solid documentation should automatically be suspect. Sometimes rare metal parts like WW2 barrels and op rods will also be restamped or otherwise faked, or modern repros swapped in and passed off as original. But it's usually the stock that gets faked.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's the cartouches that are faked - anyone who collects M1 Garands and Carbines should know there's no such thing as an all matching M1. If they get taken otherwise, they deserve it for not doing some very basic homework first. All-original M1s are so exceedingly rare, any rifle claimed as such without solid documentation should automatically be suspect. Sometimes rare metal parts like WW2 barrels and op rods will also be restamped or otherwise faked, or modern repros swapped in and passed off as original. But it's usually the stock that gets faked.

Ive seen alot passed off as bringbacks. I don't buy any of it.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And another type of fake is the Khyber Pass guns being imported. This whole thing is fake! Which means it hasn't had any type of testing or proof firing done at all. They are not meant to be shot. Some people have with reduced handloads and they didn't grenade but some have fired them tied down trigger pulled with a string and the headspace gave out after a few rounds. Anything with that TE serial number I would be wary of. Here is a Khyber Lee Enfield...

i360.photobucket.com_albums_oo46_Falconfansince80_khyberpass2.jpg

i360.photobucket.com_albums_oo46_Falconfansince80_khyberpass1.jpg

i360.photobucket.com_albums_oo46_Falconfansince80_khyberpass.jpg

i360.photobucket.com_albums_oo46_Falconfansince80_khyberpass3.jpg

Martini-Henry's are another rifle thats been imported recently and may get passed on without the info of what it really is.

Here' an interesting video....

Last edited by a moderator:

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mum looks way to small to me on Jap rifle. My BIL has a real jap rifle w/Mum that his Dad brought back.

I had one w/ the Mum ground off (like most are).

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been told that maybe the most counterfeited milsurp is the Enfield Jungle Carbine. There used to be a big section at gunboards dot com showing how to spot fakes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom