Famous, or infamous, things your parents said.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven’t read all the way thru here yet but when I turned 16 my blessed, saint of a widowed mother told me every time I walked out the door in the evening that “nothing good happens after midnight, you have your young ass home by 11:30”.
Except I was a nonconformist. I didn't drink, smoke pot, or get women pregnant. (God knows I tried....) I was usually riding with the trooper or local cop.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
My Mom came of age right after WW2, and she use to tell me and my brother to clean our plates because there were “starving kids in Japan”. We knew it wasn’t true (we’d pretend it was) but that was a thing after the war I guess.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My grandfather would always refer to gasoline as 'motion lotion'.

Speaking of my grandfather, he was one of 7 brothers. I remember once a long time ago in the mid 80's we were at my great uncles home in Lake Eufaula for Thanksgiving dinner. My grandfather, great uncle, and their last surviving brother (whom I only meant that once) were all in attendance. My grandad said the prayer before the meal. It went as follows: "Thank you to the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, whoever eats the fastest gets the most". My grandmother was horrified, as apparently he'd never said that prayer in front of her. Apparently it was something they all did when they were young, which would make sense considering they grew up very modestly and I'm sure a big meal was a hot commodity between 7 brothers. He later told me that whenever any one of them would say that prayer my great grandmother would whip them on the spot, but it was a joke among the brothers.

That prayer stuck with me ever since. It's been said a few times around a family meal between one of my brothers (3 of them) or myself when we happen to be together. We all get a laugh. My mother never found it amusing though.

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Mom came of age right after WW2, and she use to tell me and my brother to clean our plates because there were “starving kids in Japan”. We knew it wasn’t true (we’d pretend it was) but that was a thing after the war I guess.
Before that, it was the depression.

Latest posts

Top Bottom