Favorite self defense ammo .45??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FMJ in my .45's. If I decided to try a JHP I would try Golden Sabers first, they always seem to function great for me in a variety of pistols.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For personal defense, and hunting, I use the 185 grain +P gold dots by speer. I took two does with my Kimber last year. Made a complete pass thru on both at 15 yds. One ran about 30 yds, and the other went down on the spot.
Plenty of penetration, and the internal damage on both was pretty ugly.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remington Golden Sabers are my favorite, in .40 and .45

+1

The 230gr Golden Sabers are just about the best defensive load available in .45 ACP.
They seem to have a large wroking window in regard to velocity needed for expansion, and they are very feed friendly.
As long as you get adequate penetration, you are always going to be at an advantage using a good JHP over a FMJ round.
It is rare to find a FMJ that will upset to a larger diameter but it is very common for JHP loads to achieve acceptable penetration.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
have not heard of anyone taking deer with a .45... good info!

For personal defense, and hunting, I use the 185 grain +P gold dots by speer. I took two does with my Kimber last year. Made a complete pass thru on both at 15 yds. One ran about 30 yds, and the other went down on the spot.
Plenty of penetration, and the internal damage on both was pretty ugly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom