Favorite self defense ammo .45??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ray76

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I use Hydra shok JHP 230

ai90.photobucket.com_albums_k270_razvan76_MY_201911_DSCI0755.jpg

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For personal defense, and hunting, I use the 185 grain +P gold dots by speer. I took two does with my Kimber last year. Made a complete pass thru on both at 15 yds. One ran about 30 yds, and the other went down on the spot.
Plenty of penetration, and the internal damage on both was pretty ugly.

Glad I reviewed the regs before sticking my foot in my mouth. Haven't shot a deer in 3 yrs so I could duck hunt exclusively. Glad to see the new allowance for semi autos as I am back on a lease that has bonus depradtion tags. Am planning on testing various chamberings on does. I think that effectiveness on deer is a pretty good test medium. Congrats on what looks like sensible and ethical use of this load for harvesting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! what a selection! Anybody do any autopsy's on what you've killed?

For the record, I've killed three deer with the .45ACP full size 1911, and had complete pass thru on two of them, and recoverd one bullet fully mushroomed in an opposite front quarter, after taking an angle shot.
All three were shot with Georgia arms 185 grain +P speer gold dot HP, running 1100FPS.
Taking the quartering shot, the doe never moved. Fell over, and died. The other two made 20 yds.

I'm not sure what the FMJ would do in this case, but hunting deer, the FMJ would be illegal.

I do have a pic of the recovered bullet and have posted it in the past, but will look it up again.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my old Ballester Molina, round nose lead or fmj because that is all it will handle reliably. In any 45 that can handle them, the old CCI Lawman 200 grain HP when I can find them.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't carry a 45, but my dad does. We looked into this a bit on the internet. My vote would be for the T-series Ranger ammo. That's what I have in my 40 S&W as well.

Here's a pic of the expansion of a T-series 45 ACP shot into water.
awww.hipowersandhandguns.com_P220ammo_files_image022.jpg

This is a great thread about the Winchesters. Scroll about half way down for some great pictures.
Thread about T-Series Ranger and PDX1

These are nothing more than "Black Talons" without the paint. I have several boxes of these, and my SW 3913 stays loaded with "Black Talon" 124gr loads.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow! what a selection! Anybody do any autopsy's on what you've killed?

For the record, I've killed three deer with the .45ACP full size 1911, and had complete pass thru on two of them, and recoverd one bullet fully mushroomed in an opposite front quarter, after taking an angle shot.
All three were shot with Georgia arms 185 grain +P speer gold dot HP, running 1100FPS.
Taking the quartering shot, the doe never moved. Fell over, and died. The other two made 20 yds.

I'm not sure what the FMJ would do in this case, but hunting deer, the FMJ would be illegal.

I do have a pic of the recovered bullet and have posted it in the past, but will look it up again.

GC went to a ballistic class a few years back. They shot a lot of gelatin with different "covers" ... brought home all the literature so I could read it. Neither of us have carried anything but GoldDot since.

Latest posts

Top Bottom