Fire-lapping a Barrel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mec

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with fire-lapping a barrel. I just bought a new model blackhawk (44 special) and was thinking of getting the kit from Beartooth Bullets ($49.00).

I have read that it will increase the accuracy and make the barrel less prone to leading. I would be interested in any opinions pro or con

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Veral Smith from LBT makes them also.
If you're interested just check in the casting section on Greybeards form.
I think he moderates that forum so he's usually around.

mec

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Appreciate the replys. The forum Old Fart mentioned is a treasure trove of information. Can't believe that is the first time that I have happened upon it.

Think that I am going to go the LBT route and see what happens. Seems to make all the difference in a lot of guns.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the final finish kit on hand but have always backed off from using it.

I have an AR10 that I think may finally be a candidate. I have tried hard cleaning of it and it improved for a bit but then it seems the groups open up quick after just a few rounds.

I am going to clean it once more with "Truly Remarkable" and if that doesn't work, then I am final finishing it. Maybe I will just scare it into behaving.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never have been a fan of shooting a bullet thru my bore with abrasives. I know some barrels take longer to settle in than others sometimes a hand lapping is the trick but plan on spending some time! since lapping one barrel I'll just spend the extra to get a lapped barrel for sure. You can get a lot done with bore paste but like anything it's gonna take time! you can slug the barrel and do it right but I'd not plan on it taking a couple hours to complete it's a long process. Later,

Kirk

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with fire-lapping a barrel. I just bought a new model blackhawk (44 special) and was thinking of getting the kit from Beartooth Bullets ($49.00).

I have read that it will increase the accuracy and make the barrel less prone to leading. I would be interested in any opinions pro or con

In a high-quality barrel, it does no good and can actually cause harm.
Sort of like having your appendix out just because your neighbor had to have an appendectomy, but you have no symptoms.

With a Ruger, I'd shoot several several hunderd rounds of jacketed and evaluate accuracy carefully before making any decision that I might regret. The people that waste money screwing up a good barrel don't brag about it on the internet, so take the endorsements with a grain of salt.

If you're planning to shoot lead bullets in a revolver, the first thing to check is the cylinder throats size compared to the bore. They should ideally be .001" larger than the bore, and if they are smaller than the bore, that is the problem that needs fixing. Brownells has cylinder throat reamers to keep the holes round.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On a revolver, a long forcing cone that is well polished will help.
Most leading starts when the bullet hits the forcing cone.
Some brands have a good one, most don't.
A lot of Rugers I've seen over the years had almost no cone.
Looked like they just deburred the barrel and called it good.
Also stops shaving lead, cause it works like a funnel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom