"Firearms are like potato chips" - really?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I often see comments on here along the lines of these:

"If you buy one [this make/model of firearm], get ready to own more."

"You can't stop at just one."

"They're addictive."

I wonder just how common this sentiment is. I know I've owned multiple examples of a single firearm, but I've had no trouble selling off the excess or even getting rid of them all and sleeping well that night. Do you folks really have trouble paring down your collections if you don't need the funds? Or do you not have any problems with your collections getting so large you forget what's in the back of the safe(s)?

Just curious.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm guilty of this. I run across a guns a few times a year that I completely forgot I had. Gun values are doing better than my investments, so I don't worry about it.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I know is my gunsafe is full. I lost track of the count of handguns and rifles I own ages ago. All I can safely say with 100% efficacy is that I only own 2 shotguns.

In the past 10 years or so I have traded exactly 2 guns and I regret getting rid of one of them. In general my policy is to buy new and keep what I have.

That said: I keep acquiring more. When I see something I want (want being the key word here) I get it - if I consider the benefit to be at least equal to the cost. What's that mean? Ex: I want a Magnum Research DE in .44 Mag or .357 Mag. I really do WANT one. But I probably will not ever get one. It's not really a very practical handgun and for me it would fall into the man toy category and I am just not going to pay what a DE costs for a toy.

Last edited:

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All I know is my gunsafe is full. I lost track of the count of handguns and rifles I own ages ago. All I can safely say with 100% efficacy is that I only own 2 shotguns.

In the past 10 years or so I have traded exactly 2 guns and I regret getting rid of one of them. In general my policy is to buy new and keep what I have.

That said: I keep acquiring more. When I see something I want (want being the key word here) I get it -.

My sentiments exactly. I traded a gun a few years ago and regretted it so much I bought two of them to replace what I traded. However I do own quite a few more shotguns though. As somebody else stated gun values hold stronger than investments. And I don't have to feed them (except ammo) they don't get out or die. I buy and find other ways to get cash when I get broke. I never sell. I guess I'm a "firearms hoarder".

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My collection ebbs and flows as the safe nears capacity. I don't have issues or regrets about selling guns to realign my collection to my needs. I can't ever see being down to a single gun though.

TulsaGeoff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can sell guns without any hesitation if I don't care for it or if I'm upgrading to a better version of that gun. I sold a XD sub 9 that I didn't care for. Must have been the 3" barrel. And a DPMS Oracle that I sold to fund a DD build. Other than that I've already bought around 8 guns in the past 2 years and those were my first to own.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't believe in "Safe queens" for myself. My budget doesn't allow for excess. If I have a gun that doesn't fill a role, it usually gets sold for a gun that will fill a role.

A few exceptions to this, my Dad's old shotgun, and my M1 Garand. My Garand is currently my primary hunting rifle, but even if it wasn't it's going to be a family heirloom. I will say he most addictive type of guns to me is Mil-Surps. I love the history, and find them fascinating in many aspects. That being said, I am down to just the Garand right now. Really want a straight pull rifle just for the heck of it.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me guns are kind of addictive but I could never own more than one of the exact thing. Owning different sizes or calibers is certainly normal though. They way I buy guns I have a check list of guns I want and I by them as deals come along or I buy the gun that I want the most if I have the money. I manage my finances very well so I have never had to sell anything for the money, if things are things are that tight then I wouldnt be buying guns anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom