Firearms in Cars at Tech Centers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call your legislators and tell your legislators the "unloaded and secured by a mechanical device" must NOT be passed into law.
1. It is a huge step back in OK law and creates unsafe conditions.
Picture SDA permittees having to unload pistols in the parking lot of the VOTEC. It invites accidental discharge. It invites complaints about seeing the guns in the lots.
2. It would establish the precedent of requiring "safety locks" for the first time ever in OK.
3. It would make storage in VOTEC parking lot different from all the other parking lots in OK. Next step would be to make all parking lot laws like it.
4. It is a "poison pill" amendment introduced to appease anti-gun legislators that want a way to avoid openly voting against gunowners.

Tell your representative you want the rules for VOTEC parking lots the same as for all the other parking lets in OK (except for secondary schools, now).

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just emailed a copy of Veggie Meat's letter (slightly modified) to my congressmen.

I encourage everyone to do the same. If you are a concealed carry permit holder and have ever been to a Technology Center, this affects YOU.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just emailed a copy of Veggie Meat's letter (slightly modified) to my congressmen.

I encourage everyone to do the same. If you are a concealed carry permit holder and have ever been to a Technology Center, this affects YOU.

Hope you mean you sent it to your state legislator as that is where this bill is under discussion. This is not a federal matter, it is a state matter.

Talacker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call your legislators and tell your legislators the "unloaded and secured by a mechanical device" must NOT be passed into law.
1. It is a huge step back in OK law and creates unsafe conditions.
Picture SDA permittees having to unload pistols in the parking lot of the VOTEC. It invites accidental discharge. It invites complaints about seeing the guns in the lots.
2. It would establish the precedent of requiring "safety locks" for the first time ever in OK.
3. It would make storage in VOTEC parking lot different from all the other parking lots in OK. Next step would be to make all parking lot laws like it.
4. It is a "poison pill" amendment introduced to appease anti-gun legislators that want a way to avoid openly voting against gunowners.

Tell your representative you want the rules for VOTEC parking lots the same as for all the other parking lets in OK (except for secondary schools, now).

I agree with this. It sets a bad precedent. Requiring it to be locked in a car is asinine.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Received email back from my state rep Todd Thomsen. He was actually on this committee, big fail on my part for not knowing that and not having discussions with him (we attend the same church).

"You make good points. We passed the bill out of my committee tuesday as amended. The author of the bill chose this language as a compromise w/ career tech. Since career tech works w/ secondary age students there was greater caution by all sides on this bill. I appreciate your input. Please contact me anytime. "

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The author of the bill chose this language as a compromise w/ career tech.

Maybe this was the thought running through the legislator's minds..."We have to listen to Career Tech - they are a big and powerful group and hey they might give me a job later....the right of the people to keep and bear arms?? well that's just pretty language."

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe this was the thought running through the legislator's minds..."We have to listen to Career Tech - they are a big and powerful group and hey they might give me a job later....the right of the people to keep and bear arms?? well that's just pretty language."

That's pretty much it...

that, and the fact that they also HIGHLY value a good NRA rating...

I think the NRA is too broad when it comes to what "good" gun legislation is.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Today's (4/9) editorial from The Oklahoman:

Higher education officials have spent the past few years fighting back a proposal to legalize concealed weapons on college campuses. Now a lawmaker wants to make the weapons OK on CareerTech campuses. Phil Berkenbile, who heads up the CareerTech system, said he’s worried about the proposal. That’s a reasonable response.

The bill by Rep. John Enns, R-Enid, would allow concealed weapons to stay in locked cars on campuses throughout the CareerTech system. Enns called the current weapons ban a "quagmire” for adult students who carry a weapon but might not have time to take it home before classes.

We recognize this is not as aggressive as previous guns-on-campus proposals. Those bills would have allowed certain people to carry a concealed weapon as they walked across campus and attended class.

But we’re uneasy with the idea that a matter of inconvenience could dictate policy, especially when weapons are involved. Allowing students, staff and faculty to bring guns on campus — even left in a locked car as proposed — poses a safety risk. It also sets a bad precedent and opens the door for straying even further than the weapons ban that now covers education institutions at all levels.

As Berkenbile pointed out, Enns is trying to respond to the concerns of his constituents with the proposal. Let’s hope he and his colleagues in the House hear from many more who will settle for nothing less than gun-free campuses. At minimum, this is a proposal that requires more study.

Read more: http://newsok.com/gun-shy-reason-fo...3?custom_click=headlines_widget#ixzz0kbx2WrTg

buckeye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gun-free campus might be an achievable goal if they're willing to search every person that comes on campus. The writer doesn't make any mention of that, of course. Without the surety provided by that kind of screening, I fail to see how keeping the rest of us law-abiders unarmed promotes safety.

Latest posts

Top Bottom