Firearms in Cars at Tech Centers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Non-functional link but I believe you -- good news, right??

Bah... it was functional... just showed the votes... 10-1, Nay was Bill Nations (D-44).

Probably keeping track of sessions on the server side... because it gave me the same link again...

It's on Page 2 here as of 03/30/2010 20:28

And it's sort of good news... I guess I COULD settle with this, but I'd rather have the added provision discussed above that was in the committee substitute not be in there.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
(provided) the handgun is (made) inoperable due to the use of a mechanical locking device.

As pointed out by others, this is a stupid provision, proposed by a legislator who does not understand what is being specified. I can see the reasonableness of a locked compartment or locked container but not a trigger or cable lock. Gun locks increase the chance of a negligent discharge.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not nearly as familiar with this bill (or the process for that matter) as I should be.

Does it now go to the Senate, or to the Gov. for signing? And how do we get this mechanical locking device language out of the bill?

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not nearly as familiar with this bill (or the process for that matter) as I should be.

Does it now go to the Senate, or to the Gov. for signing? And how do we get this mechanical locking device language out of the bill?

Goes back to the Senate. The Senate version didn't have the lock language. The lock language was added as a committee amendment... by the original House co-sponsor.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As pointed out by others, this is a stupid provision, proposed by a legislator who does not understand what is being specified. I can see the reasonableness of a locked compartment or locked container but not a trigger or cable lock. Gun locks increase the chance of a negligent discharge.

This is the first time I have ever seen "locking devices" in OK legislation. Correct me if I am wrong. If this is correct, then we are starting on dangerous slope of requiring all firearms to be "locked" or inoperable in homes, etc etc. THis could be the thin end of the wedge.
I'd rather this was not pass if it had locking devices in it. PLease write to senators and keep us updated!

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is the first time I have ever seen "locking devices" in OK legislation. Correct me if I am wrong. If this is correct, then we are starting on dangerous slope of requiring all firearms to be "locked" or inoperable in homes, etc etc. THis could be the thin end of the wedge.
I'd rather this was not pass if it had locking devices in it. PLease write to senators and keep us updated!

It hasn't been voted on in the House yet... just got changed in committee. I'm about to send another e-mail to my Rep (Mr. Russ) later tonight.

ETA: On the calendar in the House tomorrow under General Order (page 26) http://www.okhouse.gov/CalendarFiles/2010/Microsoft%20Word%20-%202010_hcal36.pdf

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
News OK article: http://newsok.com/article/3450344#disqus_thread

A House committee passed a measure Tuesday that would allow students and teachers with permits to carry concealed weapons to take their guns to CareerTech centers.

Phil Berkenbile "I worry about having guns on campuses and how easy it might be to get them.”

Rep. John Enns, House author of Senate Bill 2230, said those with guns would be able to bring them on CareerTech campuses as long as the weapons remain locked in their vehicle. The weapons also must be secured with a locking device, said Enns, R-Enid.

People could not take the weapons out of the vehicle or carry the weapons on campus, he said.

The House Higher Education and CareerTech Committee passed SB 2230 by a vote of 10-1. It now goes to the full House of Representatives.

Concealed weapons are not allowed on university and college campuses or on any public school property in the state.

Phil Berkenbile, director of the state CareerTech system, said in a telephone interview he is concerned about the measure.

"We’ve got a lot of responsible people, and we’ve got a lot of rural people that go to our technology centers, but I worry about having guns on campuses and how easy it might be to get to them,” said Berkenbile, co- chairman of the Campus Life and Safety and Security Task Force, which studies safety issues on campuses.

Berkenbile said he told Enns about his concerns.

"I think he’s listening to some of his constituents that may be traveling a long ways or have a gun in their vehicle for protection, and they don’t want to run the risk of showing up at a campus somewhere and be picked up for violating the law with that weapon in their possession,” Berkenbile said.

"It still means that somebody’s car could have a gun in it.”

Enns said the matter became an issue for adult students who carry a weapon, mostly for protection, and go to CareerTech classes.

"There are people who get off work, and then they go straight to a CareerTech center for class, and the problem was that they carry a gun so then now they can’t go on campus and they don’t have time to go home,” Enns said.

"It kind of puts them in a quagmire.”

Berkenbile said even though the gun is locked and secured in a vehicle, the person still would have the keys.

"People know that, and we have a lot of weird things going on across the country,” he said.

"Deep down it bothers me. He (Enns) did it with the purest of intentions, but it still bothers me.”

Higher Education Chancellor Glen Johnson, co-chairman of the campus security task force, said Tuesday that weapons have no place at universities or colleges.

"Guns on college campuses do not do anything other than create a more dangerous environment for students, faculty and those who visit our campus,” Johnson said.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Higher Education Chancellor Glen Johnson, co-chairman of the campus security task force, said Tuesday that weapons have no place at universities or colleges.

"Guns on college campuses do not do anything other than create a more dangerous environment for students, faculty and those who visit our campus,” Johnson said.

...and this is whey we have "unarmed" police forces on every public university in the state. (note the dripping sarcasm in that statement)

toe

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

A House committee passed a measure Tuesday that would allow students and teachers with permits to carry concealed weapons to take their guns to CareerTech centers.

Phil Berkenbile "I worry about having guns on campuses and how easy it might be to get them.”

No shortage of ignorance by the enlightened academia.

Latest posts

Top Bottom