First ar build.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update to the pay check build

i229.photobucket.com_albums_ee16_gfercaks33_12FAF263_C597_427766d922b6e184c11d238cf12e2a0f0e6b.jpg

It's trucking right along and so far it's been easy

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would recommend a White Oak Armament 16" Stainless barrel for you. Wanting a range gun and home defense gun, this barrel will give you the accuracy you are wanting while still being a good choice for home defense. I also really think that you should invest in as good of trigger money can buy. I probably couldn't have shot the groups I did with a stock trigger. Below is a review of the barrel and a link to find it from Brownells.

http://www.okshooters.com/showthrea...ent-Review-White-Oak-Armament-Barrel-VLTOR-A5

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...arrels/ar-15-m16-match-barrels-prod54526.aspx

I agree on the WOA barrel choice. They are VERY accurate. I personally can't stand bull barrels. To be honest, I have found that a good trigger and a good barrel (heavy or normal) will produce the best accuracy.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am pretty decided On that barrel. As for the trigger I was gonna get a spikes battle trigger down the line but I would prefer a forged lower. The omni lower appears to be pretty sound got the lpk installed very easily and the upper is a nice tight fit.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can reliably ring a 10" gong at 200 yards and a man size steel silouhette at 300 with a 1:7 twist M4 profile barrel, it's a CMMG W.A.S.P.(nitrided finish) bore. non-magnified red dot or backup irons.

Take a rifle class learn how to run that gun if you intend to use it for home defense. You'll decide you like a lighter barrel rather than a heavier barrel.

A long range trigger is nice and easy to pull and makes for great tight groups at the range, but i would rather have a Geissle SSA over a light match trigger any day. I have had issues in class with unintended bump fires because of my 2 stage national match trigger. Entry exercises, 180 turns, etc. I'd like a trigger a little more difficult to trip.

Free float handguard, it's not just for show, longer is better, and keep the barrel off your barricade position, the harder you press down on it the higher you'll miss every time.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can reliably ring a 10" gong at 200 yards and a man size steel silouhette at 300 with a 1:7 twist M4 profile barrel, it's a CMMG W.A.S.P.(nitrided finish) bore. non-magnified red dot or backup irons.

Take a rifle class learn how to run that gun if you intend to use it for home defense. You'll decide you like a lighter barrel rather than a heavier barrel.

A long range trigger is nice and easy to pull and makes for great tight groups at the range, but i would rather have a Geissle SSA over a light match trigger any day. I have had issues in class with unintended bump fires because of my 2 stage national match trigger. Entry exercises, 180 turns, etc. I'd like a trigger a little more difficult to trip.

Free float handguard, it's not just for show, longer is better, and keep the barrel off your barricade position, the harder you press down on it the higher you'll miss every time.

I couldn't agree with this post more. Lighter weight makes a HUGE difference. And I personally use Geissele triggers in all my AR's (SSA and SSA-e). They are worth the money, I promise. And I also run try to run the longest rail I can to get my off hand out there. In my case, a 12.5" rail on a 14.5" barrel. It's also using a CMMG 1/7 barrel and is accurate enough for my purposes. The WOA was more accurate, but also a lot heavier. I had their 18" SPR barrel and I ended up selling that rifle.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i229.photobucket.com_albums_ee16_gfercaks33_575778C3_B9FE_4ED0b3b5cb24789c5624038c7bb884f1bab4.jpg

Woo stocks on! I little mad cause the buffer tube was a tight fit onto the stock, tight enough I needed vice grips to hold the tube to pull it off on the test fit and marred up the buffer tube.

Latest posts

Top Bottom