First Day of Deer (rifle) season....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't split the sternum on a mature deer in the field myself. But I do cut down to and split the pelvis.
There are deer there that seem to have all sorts of un-removed viscera.

I have one of those zip saws that rip through the pelvic area to get it cleaned out.
Lots of places to ruin some meat in that area.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one of those zip saws that rip through the pelvic area to get it cleaned out.
Lots of places to ruin some meat in that area.

There's nasty stuff to spill that you don't want contaminating your meat. The first deer I gutted on my own was when I was thirteen, and it was like the joke about the monkey and the football.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I should have just stayed home today. Hot and windy. None of the rain that the forecast still says we should be seeing. Dragged both of the boys out here and had to hike about a mile farther than we usually do to get around the other side of this wind. Now I'm wondering if I should bail early so as not to spook anything for tomorrow morning (since we've got to hike so far to get out of here) or stick it out just in case we see one right before sun-down.

Getting tired of feeling like I'm in the Sahara though, I know that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom