First Day of Deer (rifle) season....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, everything is starting to fall into place now. This evening was much better than the morning! I grunted a few times and had a 7 point charging past me looking for the grunting buck. I decided to let him go with hopes of one of the bigger boys...but if I see him again, I may go ahead and take him.

Also saw about 4-5 does getting hassled by this same buck as I left for the night. The rut is finally on in the SW part of the state.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my deer at Terry's today!

ai641.photobucket.com_albums_uu135_jmiller556_7e24f6b9.jpg

Very nice buck!

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw one little four point this evening. Found a new set of rublines on a part of the property we hadn't been on in a while. Gonna head back out and try it again in the AM.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be heading out in the morning myself. Better have the cold weather gear on. Should be in the low 30's with a north wind in my area. The cold front came through at 4pm to day and I almost froze to death before getting down at 6pm

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lord of mercy. Look at those horrendous pictures from Terry's. Some of those deer are only half field dressed.
Jeeeze. I'm gonna rush to that facility with the next deer I shoot.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lord of mercy. Look at those horrendous pictures from Terry's. Some of those deer are only half field dressed.

Welcome to opening weekend.

I've seen people bring them to the butcher without field dressing them in 80 degree weather. I've heard guys give their weight at the check station before, and thought it sounded high. Look in their truck and the deer looks like a roadkill they picked up. :rolleyes:

If you can't dress a deer, you prolly ought not be killing it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Saw that too, and unfortunatly, that the way it happends with lots of processors.

I did notice that being a taxidermy shop as well, the people bringing them in had not split the breast bone. Full wall mounts require no cuts in the breast bone area.
I'm sure you guys know this, but put this on for those that have never had one mounted. May have to start a new thread on this one.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't split the sternum on a mature deer in the field myself. But I do cut down to and split the pelvis.
There are deer there that seem to have all sorts of un-removed viscera.

Latest posts

Top Bottom