First Day of Deer (rifle) season....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Wife got her first deer Sat. morning 8pt. 160lbs, was using a Howa 1500 in a 243 w/80gr Power Points. She was so excited, she didn't even mind our son and nephew putting a blood mark on her cheeks. Will try to post pics later.

My congrats too and looking forward to some pictures.

corbinlee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According the number of deer at Terry's Taxidermy in OKC yesterday afternoon, I would say the deer were moving pretty good on the opener.

I took these with my phone while waiting in line to process my deer.
I could barley get in the parking lot and the line just kept getting longer as I waited, it was crazy. There are some really nice bucks laying there and I would say about 90% were bucks. All the tarsel (sp?) glands were dark and stunk.

ai172.photobucket.com_albums_w26_corbinlee_photo2.jpg

ai172.photobucket.com_albums_w26_corbinlee_photo1.jpg

ai172.photobucket.com_albums_w26_corbinlee_photo3.jpg

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Geez, glad somebody was having some luck. Maybe the deer out west are used to the wind?

This weather blows (literally), but I'm glad because I have to work today and tomorrow. Friday looks to be calm and COLD. Beautiful. My toes always get cold before anything else, so I just overnighted a pair of Sorel pac boots. I'll be on stand all day on Friday unless I find a buck to my liking first. I'm going down swinging.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According the number of deer at Terry's Taxidermy in OKC yesterday afternoon, I would say the deer were moving pretty good on the opener.

I took these with my phone while waiting in line to process my deer.
I could barley get in the parking lot and the line just kept getting longer as I waited, it was crazy. There are some really nice bucks laying there and I would say about 90% were bucks. All the tarsel (sp?) glands were dark and stunk.

Never mounted anything but my own skull mounts. When ya'll take your deer to the taxidermist, do they cape them and then give you the rest of the deer for the meat? I had always assumed you take them the cape, but judging by the pictures, whole deer are being dropped off....

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never mounted anything but my own skull mounts. When ya'll take your deer to the taxidermist, do they cape them and then give you the rest of the deer for the meat? I had always assumed you take them the cape, but judging by the pictures, whole deer are being dropped off....

Terry's is a taxidermist and a processor. I think most guys who just want a mount and do the processing themselves just bring in the head. MOST people I think just drop the whole thing off and have Terry's do the whole shebang.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was out this evening at Lake Creek on edge of a shelter belt by an alfalfa field and saw several bucks 600 or 700 yards to my NW on the edge of another tree line. Watched a big one with the binocs for a time and he was at least a 10 and stood head above the other. As I was starting to walk back to the house seven doe came to the alfalfa field about 150 yards from me and paid no attention to me as I walked away. Four of the does were nice and big. Hope they return in the AM

Out to the fields before the 717 AM sunrise, Sat AM. Saw a decent buck and doe in south field headed west slowly at 7 did not take a shot, unsure of the yardage and too dark for the range finder. Turned around to go to north side of the shelter belt and a small buck, nice rack, looking at me from downwind and he took off so I walk to my spot and the doe that was with him kept looking and walking towards me so I took her at 730. Dressed her in the pasture. Saw a few way off and then went to the house for lunch. Back out around 2 PM. At 4 PM took one of two does in the south alfalfa field. Took her to the pasture, dressed her, put her in the truck and thought I would check it in for the day. Driving slowly through the pasture to uncle's house I looked to the north up on ridge/hill and the big one I saw Friday was there. 8 point, not the 10 or so I thought, but big. He was watching me drive. I stopped, got the range finder and he was 450 yds out. All day I kept looking at my box of ammo to remind myself of the bullet drop. 308 is zeroed for 200 yds and bullet drop is 20 inches at 400 per the manufacturer, 150 grain. I thought what the heck since I have my first commercial bolt gun and a decent scope I would try it. Window is down on the door, laid the rifle on the window sill. Aimed roughly 10 to 12 inches above his back and shoulder. Squeezed it off and all I saw was his right rear leg fly up above the ridgeline. You must understand, I have never taken a shot at a deer more than 75 yds or so in my life. Drove up there. Dressed him, but no way I could get him in the truck bed even if I was younger and fit again, I am only 5' 7 160 or so # . Tied his head and front legs to the bumper and slowly dragged him to the house. Uncle got his backhoe and used the front end loader and I got him in the bed. I should have checked him in at the check station in Granite, just to get him weighed but I was worn out and not sure I could have done even that myself, usually have to do it yourself there. So I did the on line check in for all of them at my uncles. He was really swollen up. Sorry the story is long but I am still amazed he dropped. No pics, I still have an old cell phone from the precamera days of phones. The rack is 15" W and 11" tall. I was happy to get some meat and the long shot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom