First Day of Deer (rifle) season....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw my "big buck" tonight (he's not that big, a fair-sized 8-point, but he's the biggest thing on the property and his head/neck/rack are big enough that he'll look good in a mount :D ).

My youngest boy had his AR in the stand this evening and I didn't even bother bringing a rifle. When we saw it, I told him that "the big buck" was his - and to make his shot count (I didn't really care about getting any deer on the property other than that one, but I figured that he had the opportunity, and it would make a great first deer).

He realized that he couldn't get the gun low enough over the rest to where the buck was (it walked almost right under us) so he just stayed as still as he could and didn't take the shot and eventually the buck wondered off without being spooked or nervous at all.

I thought that was pretty cool that he showed that kind of patience and control (he's 9 years old) and didn't panic or do anything to spook the deer.

Well he must have gotten a little bit of deer fever after that because shortly after, we saw a doe and behind it was a smaller buck and he got antsy so he went to sit up higher and get a better shot - the sling that we took off of the rifle had a metal QD connector and was sitting on the seat next to him and made a little "klink" against the metal part of the stand and as soon as the deer stopped and looked at him, he stood up a little to get a better shot and then came the blowing and galloping off.

He was beating himself up about it pretty badly, but I told him that we saw 3 good ones on our first day of deer-gun and we'd have plenty of more days to get one.

I thought for sure that the spooked deer took off in the general direction of my feeder and was sure to run over near my father-in-law and my son, but no dice - they saw nothing the whole day.

I'm thinking that until my cameras show me differently, I'm late-morning and afternoon/evening hunting for the next few days (no more 5AM get out there to see nothing mornings), or at least until it gets colder and less windy.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just about had to pistol whip a land owner today. The guy who's land we were hunting on is not a hunter. Unfortunatley he is my Brother in laws step-brother. So I see him to often. He has hunted 1 day in his life and killed a deer about 15 minutes after day break last year. He has no patience to hunt nor does he have any common sense.

He called my brother in law for a ride this morning. walked out the door wearing shorts and a tshirt. Says he isn't going to hunt just hang out while we hunt. We convince him to just go to one of the blinds on the property that wasn't getting used. Once we get to our spots he decides he is going to go check on everyone. He rides his fourwheeler all over the property checking on teh three hunters. He drives down the creek bed my tree stand is setup on and right up to my tree. I'm speechless at this point. Finally he makes it to his stand and gets quiet. 7:30 we hear his 4 wheeler fire up and off he goes to the trucks. full throttle all the way.

fast foward to this afternoon we drop him off at his house to get his own truck. He came in around 4 or so and drove up to the fenceline of the field we are hunting on. Nothing like the sound of a Cummins diesel to help things out. Just sat there idleing till it was time to pack up.

We all get back to the trucks and he says he thinks the reason we didn't see any deer is because of the four wheelers. At this point I said screw it and just threw my gear in the truck and left. Wasn't about to go down this road.

My opening day was great. i was in a tree stand not at the house. I didn't see a single deer all day. Well except for the one I dang near hit on my way to Amber. I'm pissed at the land owner and if he pulls the same crap tomorrow I'll just load up my blind, take down my stand and find an opening on a Sportsman's Club lease to close out my season.

I really wish he would just come out and say I don't want you guys to hunt. Would make life easier. If I were paying to hunt this land i'd have a much more verbal approach to this situation.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Forgot I took a pic of this buck with my cell.
Young buck but he will get more mass in a couple of years.
Taken from my blind over the food plot that the grasshoppers ate up. He was just cruising for does.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v237_dennishoddy1_Photo0134.jpg

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well this morning I got banked. Sat til almost 11 and then walked real slow back to the truck through an area of the property that I have never been through before. I found some spots that I want to put stands at next year if we still have this lease.

I went and helped quarter an 8 pointer up that my hunting buddy's son shot. It was a small 8 but he is a young kid so it was a good deer for him. They said they saw a huge 10 and I didn't believe them til they showed me the trail cam pics and he is a wall hanger for sure, very tall and wide.

I got back in the stand at about 1:30 in a different spot than i was in this morning. I had one doe come in around 4 and she was in no hurry but she didn't give the corn a single look. At about 5:15 two more doe came in and they stayed on the feeder til it was almost too dark to see. They slinked off into the darkness and that was the end of the first day.

I am gonna hunt the same stand in the morning but I don't think I can get there quiet enough because of where it is at, so I believe that I am gonna head that way here in an hour or so and just sleep out there. It is a box blind and I think I have enough clothes that I can be comfortable in it all night. Hopefully it pays off in the morning. Good luck to everyone tomorrow.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forgot I took a pic of this buck with my cell.
Young buck but he will get more mass in a couple of years.
Taken from my blind over the food plot that the grasshoppers ate up. He was just cruising for does.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v237_dennishoddy1_Photo0134.jpg

I let one about that size go this afternoon, but I gritted my teeth and cussed myself. (I don't quite have your self-possession Dennis.)

Good luck tomorrow everybody, and for heaven's sake watch out for them cows. I hear they're really bad this year.

Deercrz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got two does today seen 10 good day. My buddy saw 12 and shot what he thought was a huge doe turned out to be a buck that lost whole rack. Still no chasing being seen at kaw. Oh my first doe surprised me by being very small but made up for it on the second she will go bout 120

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's my supporting staff (that first pic is my 9 year old, his hood is under his vest and makes him look like a hump-back, the second kid down there is my 11 year old up in the tree-stand/blind with me - he falls asleep every year :D ):

ai70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_2010_11_20071335.jpg

ai70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_2010_11_20071345.jpg

ai70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_2010_11_20071351.jpg

ai70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_2010_11_20120625.jpg

ai70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_2010_11_20120713.jpg

ai70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_2010_11_20130716.jpg

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
EZ Bake, enjoy these years, they will be what you'll remember when they go off and have a life of their own. Also, I can tell he's being well trained. No fingers on the triggers. Keep up the good work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom