First Day of Deer (rifle) season....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't want to start a fight, but I don't think that's legal...! Unless I misunderstand, anything killed in gun season must wear a gun tag regardless of what it's killed with. I'd be a bit nervous if I was him.

You can use an archery tag during rifle season as long as the game is harvested with archery equipment. I believe you can even have more than one method of taking game in the field as long as you have the appropriate tags to do so.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing I saw today were young bucks the biggest one was a 6 point I never saw a single doe which is weird for this area.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw 6 does this morning and that was it. Gonna bear the wind tomorrow evening as it seems the bucks were more active in the evening. Still slow to the rut in the SW part of the state.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got in from a full day in the stand.
Had cruising bucks passing in sight all day. I have several pics to post of the cruising bucks, but left the camera over there. I'll get them posted tomorrow.
The one I want to shoot was too far out this am. We have looked at him for three years now thinking he may grow out of his style of rack, but he never got close enough for a shot.
He only has a massive fork on the right, but 6 points on the left.
Heard a few shots, not many this am, but this afternoon the does started coming out to the wheat fields, and the shooting started.
Saw a really nice buck tending a doe on the cut milo field 1/2 mile north of my stand, about 1/2 hour before dark.
Got down, and put the stalk on them, but by the time I got there, legal shooting time had expired.
I have a stand on that fence row, and will be sitting in it tomorrow afternoon.

halfrack

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
8 point that I saw this morning was around 110". Only buck I saw all day. Saw 2 does scattered throughout the day and had another 5 all in a group come in to the corn around 5:30.

A little discouraged about the lack of bucks and the does all grouped up this evening.

Gonna do it again tomorrow.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw a very nice buck trailing a doe about 10:15 this morning. He was about 100 yds across a ridge. He definately would have been my largest deer and worthy of the wall. Just couldn't get an unobstructed shot that I felt was ethical. I'll be back there in the morning though!

halfrack

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ran into the game warden at braums earlier and he said that there was a report of a buck chasing a doe down lake road two blocks east of the Pioneer woman in Ponca this afternoon. Maybe you Ponca city guys should set up in the bowling alley parking lot in the morning.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We jumped a spike this evening. Then watched 7 doe come out and eat.
Then (know you guys wont believe without pics, but Ill tell it anyway) I saw the biggest buck in my entire life being chased by a Jack Russel Terrier along with two very large Doe. Three more doe crossed in front of us (got flushed out from the big buck). Then a tiny doe came from behind us being chased by a decent little 9 point. Dad busted him with the .303 British.

[Broken External Image]

Very good evening for deer. I gotta fill my tags, and I have a very important date with a certain deer who fears dogs smaller than his head.

And yes,... that is typical hunting gear for me and my dad. I was wearing a noveske hat, a M3 shirt, jeans and adidas superstars. (well that and some blaze on my head and torso).

Latest posts

Top Bottom