First Feeder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought my first feeder, I'm gonna try and cheat after eating Tag soup for the last 2 years. (this is also my first year to actually get to hunt private land. I do have a question though.

Is it okay to go and mow down a bunch of 7 foot tall brush that has grown up in what used to be a clearing/pathway between 2 fields. It is a spot of about 40 feet wide and 200 ft across? I need to set up my feeder off of the fields as they haven't been planted yet and I don't want the Farmer leasing the place to have to mess with it. Also, After the field is planted do I move the feeder out into the field or just leave it in the man made clearing?

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I set up a feeder, I set it up in a high traffic area. Then I set up cameras on trails a couple of hundred yards away from it. Once the deer start to scrape, I try to catch them somewhere in the middle coming and going. I never really hunt over a scrape or a feeder.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Leave it in the man made clearing

I agree, but put it near some cover. The deer will feel more comfortable with cover nearby, and if any quail are coming to the feeder, they will have protection from overhead predators.

Thanks!

If I set up a feeder, I set it up in a high traffic area. Then I set up cameras on trails a couple of hundred yards away from it. Once the deer start to scrape, I try to catch them somewhere in the middle coming and going. I never really hunt over a scrape or a feeder.

LOL, I cant get a couple of hundred yards away on this place! It is 2 fields with a slew in the middle of them that is maybe 80 yards wide and 1/4 mile long, if that. But it does hold deer and is only 1/2 mile from the Cimarron River.

Compared to hunting the public lands just being able to put up a stand and leave it seems like cheating! The feeder and game camera have me almost feeling guilty......Almost.:rubhands:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks!

LOL, I cant get a couple of hundred yards away on this place! It is 2 fields with a slew in the middle of them that is maybe 80 yards wide and 1/4 mile long, if that. But it does hold deer and is only 1/2 mile from the Cimarron River.

Compared to hunting the public lands just being able to put up a stand and leave it seems like cheating! The feeder and game camera have me almost feeling guilty......Almost.:rubhands:

:) I can relate, you'll get used to it quickly!

ImTheDude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're out there mowing, cut the paths you want them to walk in on from the feeder to the cover. I did that a few years ago on a buddy's land I used to hunt and I was shocked at how much they only followed the paths I cut for them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're out there mowing, cut the paths you want them to walk in on from the feeder to the cover. I did that a few years ago on a buddy's land I used to hunt and I was shocked at how much they only followed the paths I cut for them.

Yup, they are just like us. Take the path of least resistance. If you don't have a mower, an ATV or a pickup can make a trail as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom