First Feeder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my spot is pretty soggy in some of the spots and I'm in so a mower is out of the question but I have been hitting it with a weed eater and a brush cutting blade there are actually 2 flows from a natural spring feet from my stand. I cut down to where I want to hunt from my west field and found that I am actually hunting a intersection of about 4 trails. I was thinking about opening up the trails wider and clearer cut to go from one grove of trees to the next as well as connect the west and east fields with a mowed pathway.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is my layout, again I was thinking about opening up the existing deer trails but I left them alone until I could ask the expert
View attachment 49821

I also thought about getting a couple of ground blinds for that west edge where I have seen tracks but for right now I'm out of cash. the tracks I did find seemed alright though, about 5" long.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks for the tips. wind is for sure one of my concerns but I didnt see anyway of avoiding it other than scent killer extreme. I will check out the forget the wind Seems interesting. I was also going that with me coming in regularly to fill the feeder they would be descensatized to my smell being there

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
thanks for the tips. wind is for sure one of my concerns but I didnt see anyway of avoiding it other than scent killer extreme. I will check out the forget the wind Seems interesting. I was also going that with me coming in regularly to fill the feeder they would be descensatized to my smell being there

Younger deer and does will pattern you, and probably just become nocturnal. IMO mature bucks will find another place to live after a couple of bumps. That said, they'll likely be back during the rut after the doe. Everyone has their own methods, but I don't even dump feed or check cams unless the wind is right.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Younger deer and does will pattern you, and probably just become nocturnal. IMO mature bucks will find another place to live after a couple of bumps. That said, they'll likely be back during the rut after the doe. Everyone has their own methods, but I don't even dump feed or check cams unless the wind is right.

School me oh wise one:teach:. What wind would I be looking for in this spot? My best guess is I would want a south wind as the River is south of me and the biggest thicket of trees. However I see trails going into the North grove of trees as well. also, the spot I am in there is no wind. The north and south breezes come seem to come over the place as it is about 25 feet down into the bottom of this slew I'm in. from my stand I can't even see into the fields, I probably could If I cleared a whole lot more of my brush but that stuff is 10ft tall at the edges and thick. Lastly, Did I screw the whole thing up by being down there 2 days clearing brush? I was making a ton of racket.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
what okie is saying it is the truth mature bucks and other deer are two different animals.most of the time wind wil be either north or south I try the best I can to set up so I can hunt with it blowing from either direction.but sometimes it just not possible. but never hunt your spot with the wrong wind I don't care what you have for cover scent just don't do it.hunt somewhere else or don't hunt at all.I notice your are from Okarche I am working here at loyal west of kingfisher if your place is close by I would be more then glad to go look at your place with you and discuss your options and half the fun of hunting whitetails is figuring things out and being successful good luck to you

Latest posts

Top Bottom