First Feeder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is great to hear, around my feeder I took it to bare dirt, now the spot is probably only 35 ft across and 20 feet wide, but it could be worth a shot.

I really want to get in there and clear out more but after hearing what you guys have to say I'm worried about chasing everything I do have out of that little spot, If I haven't already.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Preferably in a small clearing that gets some sun, and right around your feeder. If you have any way to disrupt the soil and possibly rake it in, it will grow better, but if it gets some rain, its not necessary.

You can even get some free samples/advice that are free except for shipping that do 1/4acre at the whitetail institute. Google http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/free-samples-1/ to get some.

Thanks, Just looking at the website I think that secret spot may be something I need to look into further as I have some fairly swampy area there.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is great to hear, around my feeder I took it to bare dirt, now the spot is probably only 35 ft across and 20 feet wide, but it could be worth a shot.

I really want to get in there and clear out more but after hearing what you guys have to say I'm worried about chasing everything I do have out of that little spot, If I haven't already.

Your OK getting in there now to do work getting the place set up. The closer to season, the more stealthy you need to be.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Differing views on this, but I like more cover. They can go out in the field if they want a mega high way :) Cover is cover.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since its your first feeder, I'd recommend going solar with rechargeable batteries. In the long haul it will save you a lot of money, and will be less of a pain coming to the feeder and finding out it hasn't thrown any feed for several days because the batteries died.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since its your first feeder, I'd recommend going solar with rechargeable batteries. In the long haul it will save you a lot of money, and will be less of a pain coming to the feeder and finding out it hasn't thrown any feed for several days because the batteries died.

Thanks, I looked at that when I first bought it. I went the other way just because I was out of money for the moment.....really getting started is expensive....but I think when this battery is done I will be making the switch to solar. For right now I still have to save up for some good scent killers and a few bow hangers and I'm trying to buy one of those trophy ridge React sights for my bow. All this while following the no credit card rule and a $100 month hunting fund.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Just MO, don't waste your money on the scent killers. None are 100% effective, and it only take one scent molecule to get you busted.....wind direction is free :) Or like Dennis suggested before somewhere, go really tall on your stand selection.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got my fist feeder pics. No deer but I did have a visitor

bobcat.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom