First time using white box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyJohn88

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few pictures I took using a white box the other day. Probably going to build a box at home so I can take some pictures of fuctional weapons and not toys. Thought I would post a couple up.

ai855.photobucket.com_albums_ab118_johntrtt_IMG_3624.jpg

ai855.photobucket.com_albums_ab118_johntrtt_IMG_3617.jpg

ai855.photobucket.com_albums_ab118_johntrtt_IMG_3596.jpg

ai855.photobucket.com_albums_ab118_johntrtt_IMG_3600.jpg

ai855.photobucket.com_albums_ab118_johntrtt_IMG_3591.jpg

ai855.photobucket.com_albums_ab118_johntrtt_IMG_3584.jpg

ai855.photobucket.com_albums_ab118_johntrtt_IMG_3583.jpg

Thanks 257WBY for the use of the gator heads!

Let me know what yall think

ArmyJohn88

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took a bunch at all different apertures just playing around. Looking through them I agree, bringing the whole object into focus looked better. Normally I am a huge fan of using really low apertures to make the point of focus really stand out but its a bit different in a box. Most those were taken at f11,f16, or f20 so it was pretty high up there though.

And the felt was black but the "box" was white... :D

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice shots! I agree with the suggestion of using a smaller aperture. When shooting objects up close I like to start at about f/20 and go out to f/40+ depending on how close. I think at f/40 you could have had almost all of the bobbers in focus. Do you have a picture of your set up? I didnt check the exif (posting from my phone) so I'm wondering if your using a lit box, or remote flash(es?) For lighting or a combination...

ArmyJohn88

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was a white "tent" cloth box. The box was not self-lit, I used external flashes in conjunction with some lights on a stand. It was all OSU stuff we were using for a class so it was some pretty highspeed stuff. Only had about 10 minutes with it from start to finish so I did not get to experiment much.
I originally wanted the back bobbers out of focus but looking at them now I agree, having them all in focus would look better. I may try to check the equipment out over break and take it home to have some time with it. Ill post up some pics if I do.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Google up diy macro "white boxes"... I bounce speed lights off of styrofoam sometimes to light my macro shots... I will also use aquarium lights of known color tmperatures to light my shots...that gives a "harder" light than speedlights and diffusers, but I compensate with much longer exposures.

Latest posts

Top Bottom