Fishin in the Gulf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Clue me in. Whens good time to go? What do I wanna catch thats Good to eat? Wheres best place to launch from? Any guide recommendations? Whats it gonna cost or about whats reasonable?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Matamordas for about anything.

I have a high school friend that lives in Katy Tx. He keeps an offshore boat in Freeport marina.

We have gone over a 100 miles off shore to the continental shelf. The gulf is fairly shallow with a lot of brown water. I've seen small boats 25 miles off shore run aground. There are navigation buoys to prevent this, but some don't know how to read them. Blue water fishing is the best.

The oil rigs are the best place to fish, although one can buy a map of the artificial reefs made by sinking ships, tire reefs, ets.

The further you go out, the bigger the fish get. The rigs close to shore are over fished.

If you decide to go on a charter fishing trip on a boat, and you get your phone out with the gps, expect it to be lost over the side. Those boat captains pay big money to put in their private reefs, and pay to get the location of some other ones.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can afford it fly out to the Caribbean. Cancun or the like. Blue water and mahi mahi are where its at.

Sent from outer space or somewhere from my mobile device

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The guys that wanna go wanna keep it to a 1 day weekend type trip. So prolly Texas, Louisiana.

But ur right on the mahi mahi....ive had that grilled. Way awesome.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got back from the Gulf Coast of Florida chasing tarpon with my flyrod off Captiva island. Never hooked up, but it was a rush sight casting to 200lb fish 50ft away. I did manage to catch a few pompano from the beach though. The previous year I caught specks and reds near Pensacola. I know the reds are plentiful off the coast in Texas as well.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just got back from the Gulf Coast of Florida chasing tarpon with my flyrod off Captiva island. Never hooked up, but it was a rush sight casting to 200lb fish 50ft away. I did manage to catch a few pompano from the beach though. The previous year I caught specks and reds near Pensacola. I know the reds are plentiful off the coast in Texas as well.

Holy crap that sounds fun. I just got into flyfishing this year. Dunno if I could handle a tarpon on a flyrod but man thats godda be a blast.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A national guard buddy of my dad was a chopper pilot that flew crews and later execs in and out from the rigs. They were always catching fish off the rigs. One of the divers on one rig even named a grouper "Tiny". He swore that fish weighed at least 500 lbs and would never leave it's spot under the rig and they never could get it to bite either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom