Flashing Your Headlights To Warn Other Drivers: Free Speech OR Justified Ticket?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife works at the PD in town as a dispatcher so I don't warn people when I know or see one of the guys here running traffic. Speeding tickets may be steep but they put food on my table and alot of other people's tables. Cities and counties depend on the income to bring in revenue. Its just a fact of life. I appreciate it when I am warned but I don't typically warn others.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife works at the PD in town as a dispatcher so I don't warn people when I know or see one of the guys here running traffic. Speeding tickets may be steep but they put food on my table and alot of other people's tables. Cities and counties depend on the income to bring in revenue. Its just a fact of life. I appreciate it when I am warned but I don't typically warn others.

I hope you are joking. That's like a jailer saying they hope the .gov would make more things illegal for job security!

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So your saying cities shouldn't write tickets to bring in money? I'm not saying I call in every speeder, i just don't go out of my way to warn people.

I think what he is saying is that laws should be enforced for public safety and not to keep people in jobs. If not, then you could argue that practically anything could be made illegal for the sake of 'keeping food on people's tables'.

bernardderek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont think that towns should depend on people breaking the law for their revenue. What happens when people all obey the traffic laws (I know this will never happen). Then what? They will have to generate revenue some how, and it will more than likely be from something absurd.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do you know its just minor speed violations?

A lifetime of living in the same town and driving through it 4+ times a day every day of the week, and knowing many residents.

And I didn't say they just write for minor speed violations. I say they do it more than I care for, for reasons I don't agree with. Most of the tickets they write aren't making the roads safer IMO.

You would be AMAZED at how many officer's reduce the speed for tickets, and give warnings for all types of violations.

Nah, I wouldn't. I'd say the vast majority of departments and officers are MORE than fair. However, I'd be amazed if the town I'm talking about handled people barely speeding the way OHP, TPD and most other outlying towns do. Hence why I only flash my lights in said town.

Just my jaded opinion.

So your saying cities shouldn't write tickets to bring in money? I'm not saying I call in every speeder, i just don't go out of my way to warn people.

The original intent of traffic citations was to discourage unsafe driving.

Latest posts

Top Bottom