Posting Political (and other) Points of View - a Reminder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
@HoLeChit ; I think you're also good for now anyway.

thank goodness.
I don’t want to sound like I’m starting a mutiny or anything, but I am legitimately interested in this. Has the owner of this fine site considered taking things private? I know we had a less censored version of this site a while back that fizzled out, but I was wondering if there has been an interest in making this forum private to nonmembers.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that I know less about the internet and computers than anyone here but my understanding is that each computer has a numerical IP address that if need be can be traced right to you......if that's true and unless there is someway to somehow hack or hide your own IP address it really wouldn't make any difference if you changed your login / screen name here 10 times a day they can still locate you, correct ?

Probably best to just be careful / guarded about what you post......big brother may be watching.

big brother.jpg

Last edited:

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that I know less about the internet and computers than anyone here but my understanding is that each computer has a numerical IP address that if need be can be traced right to you......if that's true and unless there is someway to somehow hack or hide your IP address it really wouldn't make any difference if you changed your login / screen name here 10 times a day they can still locate you, correct ?

Probably best to just be careful / guarded about what you post......big brother may be watching.

View attachment 188093

You're pretty well on point for the most part --- most people are going to have a relatively static IP from their internet provider. Long story short cutting out technical fuzz, but all devices in your house on your internet pipe are going to have that. Whether it changes or not, the ISP should have a record of what IP was assigned where at any given time. This is why it's also a good idea to secure your Wifi for instance. If someone came and downloaded naughty kiddie stuff or torrents, or was using the internet for insurrection or something and they were on your Wifi, you'll certainly get the first look from the federales.

The address will change more often on a cell phone, or cell phone hot spot, but there's still logging. Really the only way to work around that is through a VPN connection for the surface web. EVEN THEN not all VPN's are created equal. Some still keep some kind of logs that could be provided to the feds although they advertise that's for exceptional purposes. It pays to research how a VPN company does business.

The Dark Web is really the only totally anonymous place because of it's design and access, although there's still a lot of suspicion that if the NSA or someone really wanted they could track you through it. But that's totally a different discussion that doesn't really relate here much.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that I know less about the internet and computers than anyone here but my understanding is that each computer has a numerical IP address that if need be can be traced right to you......if that's true and unless there is someway to somehow hack or hide your own IP address it really wouldn't make any difference if you changed your login / screen name here 10 times a day they can still locate you, correct ?

View attachment 188093

Not quite the way it works, and your IP address can change. You could tell for example, with IPv4, that at a particular time, an IP address was associated with my network. You couldn't tell who on my network posted the message. There are not enough IPv4 ip addresses to go around. So, you need to share them, using a thing called NAT https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation.

All that also assumes I'm not using VPN.

The short version, IP address is a crappy way to track people. It's a good way to narrow, but not positively id a single person most the time.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be happy to change my name (steelfingers). How about Batman?....Anyway. I've made my resolution to never comment on anything political. Still, I wouldn't fault the mods if they wanted me to change my name (please). I've already got two warning's on my record. I need to watch my p's a Q's even though I never understood what that meant nor was I interested in finding out.....
Bless all of you. Be safe and above all be thankful for what you have.

Latest posts

Top Bottom