What does my car/truck know about me???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was asking because I remembered gps tracking back in the early 90s on expensive technology we used to ship to the feds.
IIRC, in 1991 there were only 3 satellites up, for navigation it was kinda spotty but useable, in 1992 I used GPS to sail to Alaska, it was very spotty at those latitudes, not only that there were a few places with magnetic anomalies. Which meant your compass was pretty dicey. Now, it is fantastic in comparison.

Reaction score
Yes, that's what I like about my inexpensive 1999 Saturn SL. Just enough computer information like temperature and other sensors. No recording. I flipped when my dad got a new Chevy 12 years ago and had to talk to the OnStar operator even though he didn't want the service. The salesman seemed surprised how much it bothered me. The button is on the rear view mirror so I have to be sure not to touch it or the operator comes up to see if we want to order service. Makes me want to get an even older car.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, that's what I like about my inexpensive 1999 Saturn SL. Just enough computer information like temperature and other sensors. No recording. I flipped when my dad got a new Chevy 12 years ago and had to talk to the OnStar operator even though he didn't want the service. The salesman seemed surprised how much it bothered me. The button is on the rear view mirror so I have to be sure not to touch it or the operator comes up to see if we want to order service. Makes me want to get an even older car.
Actually in the late 90's information downloaded from a Corvette was used in a court of law to prosecute a reckless driver. OnStar was the tattler.

Reaction score
Actually in the late 90's information downloaded from a Corvette was used in a court of law to prosecute a reckless driver. OnStar was the tattler.
Oh yeah, I know it was around, but I got the cheapest car with no frills. Of course, I take a stupid smart phone almost everywhere, unless I forget it. Ah well. It's all good. "I'm not doing anything wrong." Better not with all the cameras these days. I have one in my 1999 Saturn and it records speed. (When it's on.)

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OnStar Stolen Vehicle Assistance* receives a new feature with Stolen Vehicle Slowdown®,* which uses satellites located more than 12,000 miles above the Earth and vehicle sensors to determine a vehicle's location. When conditions are safe, an Advisor can send a signal to slow the vehicle down — helping authorities get it back quicker and safer.

That was 2008. Imagine today. And if the Gov. has there way all vehicles will have a receiver that allows LE to stop your car with the push of a button.
With autonomous driving cars, Big Brother will probably able to tell the stolen car to lock the doors and drive the thief to the police station.

Latest posts

Top Bottom