Flip up sights, not a2 peep hole.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No, what folks are telling you is: If you can't shoot accurately with A2 aperture sights, then your problem is more likely to be technique and training related, not equipment related. Training and skill first, gear second is the common theme.

thats fine. im not out to make myself a great marksmen, an ironsight sniper, or a guru of military shooting styles. so, no, i am not going to take a class, or join the military to get over not liking the standard military sight.

i understand that people on the forums just want to help and share their knowledge and i believe that is what rob, and somarsmi and zombie were trying to do, but its blown way off course. all i was looking for as an alternative that i would like better. and i thank somarsmi for being the only one to offer a suggestion in this direction.

i was not trying to step on feet, or piss anyone off, and im sorry if thats how it came across. but i am done with this thread, its up to the rest of you if you let it die or not, but i will not be looking at it again.

i found what i was looking for after several additional hours of searching days after i posted the question.

thanks

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so, no, i am not going to take a class, or join the military to get over not liking the standard military sight.

and i thank somarsmi for being the only one to offer a suggestion in this direction.
????!!! If you have difficulty with the A2, the CSAT will throw you into a tailspin. Here's the deal, to be proficient, you need to know and recognize what you don't know. Sounds oxymoronic, but it isn't.

Breaking down what you have stated: you have (personal standard) acceptable performance with 1 rifle and 1 or a few more trainers (the .22lrs). You are not able to meet a qualification standard with a new centerfire carbine.

Now, it may well be the sights. I'm very astigmatic, and what works for many shooters won't work (or work as well) for me.

We have not shot with you. Most of us have several thousand rounds downrange over the course of our lives, and many/most have had professional instruction of some kind. You're talking video games, C&R surplus and .22. That indicates a lack of understanding. Now, I may be entirely wrong, but petulantly saying, "I'm not taking a class etcetcetc", is more immature than anything.

If you understood the implications of what somarmsi suggested (the CSAT), then you would have understood why my suggestion of cutting the top off the fine app on an A2 and squaring the notch is less cluttered and offers a narrower sight channel. I have a CSAT on an AK, with an XS 24/7 front blade. The CSAT is not a fine aperture assembly, by comparison (A2). If you pm me, I can let you lookee-see at H&H, Savage Trading, or another metro location.

No one is dissin' you. Between the members here, we can help with your difficulty, if you're willing to listen and learn. I have three grown daughters (I'm sure another one or two here can say something similar), I know whereof I speak.

I sincerely hope you've found a solution that works, so that you can fully enjoy your AR. They are a blast.:cool:

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The nice thing about an aperture/peep sight is that you don't NEED to consciously line up a reference point, like putting the post in the notch. With that aperture up close to your eye, your eye naturally wants to place the tip of that front sight in the greatest point of light, which is the center of the aperture. It is very reflexive and repeatable, and it is very precise. It may look like trying to center a toothpick in a hula hoop when your eye is right up close to that aperture, but in actuality that aperture is very small and gives you very precise aim.

If you want a reference point, all you need to know is that the tip of the front sight needs to be centered in the middle of the aperture, centered on both the x and y axes. It is quicker than lining up a notch sight once you're used to it.

Rifles with aperture sights usually have a longer sight radius (distance between the front and rear sights), since that rear aperture is right up close to the eye. This makes aiming more precise.

It really is a superior type of sight than a notch sight. You really should try to learn to use it right before trying to solve your problem with new hardware. The problem isn't hardware, it's software!

Hey if you come to one of our Appleseed marksmanship clinics, we will really show you how to take care of business with that rifle. We'll give you all the skills you need to hit a man-sized target out to 500 yards with it. We are non-profit and are just trying to bring back the heritage of marksmanship in this country. It's just $70 for a weekend, or $45 for one day. Check out the links in my sig. We are having one this weekend in El Reno at the Banner Road Range. Come on out and we will get you squared away.

Latest posts

Top Bottom