• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Want To Buy Fly rod combo / setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleLoggie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Northern New Mexico- Lost Lake, Horseshoe Lake, Red River, Rio Grande, Cabresto, Rio Castilla, Suree Ponds....

More then likely Red River area. The enchanted circle area is probably our favorite place to visit. We just never been in the summer time. Went on a trip a few weeks ago and first time taking our little ones. 3 and 1 wasn’t much for them to do besides play in the snow. Can’t wait to see it in summer/fall.

have you fished cimarron canyon? I love that part of the drive in and out.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
More then likely Red River area. The enchanted circle area is probably our favorite place to visit. We just never been in the summer time. Went on a trip a few weeks ago and first time taking our little ones. 3 and 1 wasn’t much for them to do besides play in the snow. Can’t wait to see it in summer/fall.

Yes. The best fishing is on Philmont property in the lower canyon. If you go by their headquarters, they will give you a permit. Last time I was there (a loooong time ago) it was free. The stream is narrow, it's hard to get to and the fishing is technical/advanced. But you will be rewarded.

LittleLoggie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
CF7B1647-3979-4528-8044-04073C635511.jpeg

I got a little excited and just bought a new rig.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0

Congrats on getting into an addictive hobby.
I rarely fish with anything other than a fly rod these days. Spent 2 1/2 months fishing northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado last summer.
The Red River is becoming difficult to fish as they are letting the stream go back to its natural state. Lots of willows lining the banks to control erosion, etc. the Rio Grande is accessible at the John Dunn bridge. You can walk up or downstream to access the pools. The further you walk the better the fishing gets.
Probably my favorite stream is the Rio Los Pinos’ in Northern NM. The fish and game folks have created the perfect habitat by building pools, riffles, falls, etc. There are trophy areas that contain bigger fish and area’s easily accessed for stockers. The stream is on public property but does cross some private ground that you have to bypass. We fished most of it all the way to Chama NM. That stream is pretty well known as great habitat for rattlesnakes as well. We never saw one but talked to others that had. Below is the Los Pinos’
IMG_0583.jpg

Keep your eye open for fly rods and reels at estate and garage sales. I picked up a 7.5’ Gloomis 3wt for $50 and a Lamson reel for $5 at an estate sale.
That 3 wt is a hoot to catch big trout on and is almost a necessity on some of the small streams that are overgrown with trees, brush, etc.

IMG_1755.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

Finding the bedding area in local lakes when bluegill are spawning is great fishing locally with fly gear.

Latest posts

Top Bottom