Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like you, I've only seen the ads, so I can't say.

Just talking off the top of my head, It migh be ok for soils that are mineral deficient, but in my area, I don't have any luck using mineral or salt blocks to attract deer. I'm guessing the soil has enough minerals that are also absorbed into the browse that the deer don't crave suppliments.

I've tried the deer cocain, etc, and it just sets there right beside a feeder.
My buddy did the same in Osage county, and the deer licked, and pawed a pretty good patch of ground where he put it down.

I'd have to see some test plots by an independant source like the OSU agonomy department before I spent a dime on it.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am familiar with the "sea salts" and they work temporarily. Why temporarily you ask? Continued use,even in small quantities, over time canl build up soluble salts and total chlorides in the soil. These build ups reduce the plants ability to uptake nutrients. Oil based drilling mud and water based drill mud which is being applied to farmers fields contains salts and if the application rates are not followed it will result in the crop yield or productivity dropping. I currently have 2 salt contaminated fields to remediate as soon as we can get some moisture to begin treatments. The sea salts,initially,sound too good to be true but long term could possibly lead to trouble. One of the remediation projects had a 4" layer of water based drilling mud applied 8 years ago. This Spring the owner drilled oats into the field and the seeds came up approx 3" and then died. A soil analysis revealed low levels of salt. The owner was stunned.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
went and check on cowpeas in woodward county,about 3/4 of them are still alive ye ha,must not be many deer in area if they was at home caddo county they would have been eaten into ground,there was a few deer tracks in it but not very many,grass hoppers are enjoying them as much as the deer are,but they sure need some rain,not very good pic,peas are on the otherside of the fenceView attachment food plot 2.jpg

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The recent rains that cooled everything off also gives everyone an opportunity to till/disc their plots for the upcoming planting. Personally, I am going to just till the grass down and wait another month before I think of planting anything. I am still feeding protein pellets to my deer and they have made it thru this drought in good shape. I know they are anxious for some lush green shoots. My Imperial whitetail clover is hanging in, even with the drought,and has started to grow again with these cool nights. The deer were hitting it last night.

Latest posts

Top Bottom