Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a new spot to hunt. Since it is too dry and late for summer food plots, I started a feeder with 50/50 mix of whole corn and 20% protein pellets. With the corn prices, the protein pellets are only 6 dollars/100# higher than corn. I anticipate corn being over 20/100# by October.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty fair chance of rain tomorrow....................................little too late for me but will take what we can get.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My iron clay cowpeas are now well roasted and toasted. The deer are staying close to the feed trough lounging on the irrigated lawn under the trees in the shade. They get a fresh water change each day and 2 pitchers of 20% protein pellets a day. They are leading the life of Riley. I do not know if some of you all even know what I am talking about the "Life of Riley" They be in taaaaaaalllllllllllllll cotton.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My iron clay cowpeas are now well roasted and toasted. The deer are staying close to the feed trough lounging on the irrigated lawn under the trees in the shade. They get a fresh water change each day and 2 pitchers of 20% protein pellets a day. They are leading the life of Riley. I do not know if some of you all even know what I am talking about the "Life of Riley" They be in taaaaaaalllllllllllllll cotton.

hey deerslayer sorry to hear about the peas are they dead because they ate them off and they made no shade on the ground to help hold moisure in or it's to dry and they died,i have a acre in woodward county hoping they making it,what kind of 20% protien are you feeding what brand

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Deer24/7 - Both. I harrowed the cowpeas in too deep and what came up did not have enough shade to protect their roots. The deer figured out that they might be tastey and nipped them off. I am using,Antler Max, from Tractor supply. $12.99/50#. The kids take right to it with no hesitation. I have used other protein blends and they have rejected them.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deer24/7 - Both. I harrowed the cowpeas in too deep and what came up did not have enough shade to protect their roots. The deer figured out that they might be tastey and nipped them off. I am using,Antler Max, from Tractor supply. $12.99/50#. The kids take right to it with no hesitation. I have used other protein blends and they have rejected them.
I haven't seen the Antler Max brand at Tractor Supply. The one here carries Sportman's Choice made by Cargill if IIRC.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a food plot that made it to about 28" tall and was starting seeds before the dry conditions thrwarted its growth. It will likely get brushogged if enough seeds are in the heads for turkey and dove. Or if there isn't enough seeds brushogged and turned under so that wheat, turnips, and winter peas can be planted in September. It always rains opening weekend of dove season.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
thanks ds & ob going to have to get some protien pellets up on the lease and bassin i here you about it raining the first week sept heck it most time rain a day or two before season water puddles everywhere lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom