Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The drought is taking its toll on the food plots. I planted iron clay cowpeas which are drought tolerant this year in early summer. The deer figured out what they were and started munching on them. They are pretty well nipped down. I had to start the irrigation system today in order to try and save them. I also am going to start to feed protein pellets because the forage has withered so that there is not much protein available for them. I would suggest to everyone to do the same if they can afford to. Pray for rain this week.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Praying for rain also. I have no irrigation system. If I had a good sized water pump I could get water out of the river but I don't have one. If we don't get some rain soon I'll just have to replant in the fall.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Ground ready for one food plot, between the lack of rain this last month and thousands of grasshoppers, I don't see it happening until fall.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ground ready for one food plot, between the lack of rain this last month and thousands of grasshoppers, I don't see it happening until fall.

Nothing here either. The grasshoppers have always been a problem at one food plot, but now they are everywhere! I hear drought really brings them out. Watched a TV report from Australia. They have them so bad there, that they cause car accidents while they are marching across roads, and eventually enough die to make the roads slick.

One food plot has one heck of a stand of wheat with big heads on it and no weeds, so I'll leave it alone until Sept. then mow it, and lightly disk it in. Should make an excellent food plot.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My iron clay cowpeas seem to have died altogether. I will start feeding 20% protein pellets to my kids. They are staying right in the backyard next to the water barrel. I came in around 8:00 am this morning and found Grandma, the 2 children and the 2 grandkids all together. The two specalled butts seem to be a week apart in age because one is slightly larger than the other.

I was walking up to feed the goldfish in their tank this morning when I was almost run over by a young skunk that was on a mission headed somewhere and I was in his way.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My iron clay cowpeas seem to have died altogether. I will start feeding 20% protein pellets to my kids. They are staying right in the backyard next to the water barrel. I came in around 8:00 am this morning and found Grandma, the 2 children and the 2 grandkids all together. The two specalled butts seem to be a week apart in age because one is slightly larger than the other.

I was walking up to feed the goldfish in their tank this morning when I was almost run over by a young skunk that was on a mission headed somewhere and I was in his way.

it's been over a month since i seen my cowpeas hope they hav'nt died too,i put down 20lbs arce when i drill them,this year i just broadcasted and disced them in so i put 50lb acre thinking that they would'nt all come up.would'nt you know it every single pea came they are to thick hoping they make it mabye in a week or 2 i can go check on them

victor3ranger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been wanting to put my peas and beans in but so far with the heat and lack of rain I have stayed out of the fields. Within the next two - three weeks I will be thinking heavy on putting in my winter plots and keep praying for rain.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Victor3- I think I would really consider holding off until first of September. I normally plant mine in late September or early October when we have had sufficient rain to sustain the plants.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My summer food reached a height of 3 feet before giving up due to dry conditions. Some of it may make it if we get some rain soon. But either way it will get tilled under in September for winter food plots.

Latest posts

Top Bottom