Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Going to be tackling a food plot project for a friend this spring. Will be collecting soil for testing this weekend. The plot will be almost 2 acres in sandy loam soil, in blackjack oak timber in Major Co. Hoping for the best on the ph but I'm anticipating low ph because of location and soil type. He's wanting to plant for turkeys as well as deer, so I've been researching chufa for the last few days. Deer Slayer or anyone else have experience with it or any other ideas for this soil type. Local mesonet says about 28"-32" rainfall per year average.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For Chufa, the soil is right. Had a friend put it in one year, and when it was ready, we ran over it with a Grand Hamie, with peanut sweeps to move the chufa near the surface. Turkey were all over it.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
:urwelcome: Dang, I like it when a plan comes together!:wave:You boys are on it.

I am doing some work with bassin and Dennis on a liquid soil supplement that can be sprayed on the food plot or pasture. The supplement will add soil bacteria to restore and maintain naturally beneficial microbial populations in different soil environments. It will increase nutrient and water storage through more efficient cellular uptake aiding in drought tolerance. It contains a blend of N - P - K for immediate availability of beneficial nutrients and minerals. Finally a patented biological stimulant that accelerates the plant growth and root development. I have used this biological stimulant for the last 20+ years in Oklahoma. The best part of this product is I am saving 50% on the fertilizer cost and producing comparable protein levels. Shoot me a PM for specifics as this is just the tip of the iceberg.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Due to the mild winter I have some plots that are still going pretty strong. I threw some turnips out around the edge of a couple plots and I still have huge turnips growing. Here's one next to a G22.
[Broken External Image]

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Due to the mild winter I have some plots that are still going pretty strong. I threw some turnips out around the edge of a couple plots and I still have huge turnips growing. Here's one next to a G22.
[Broken External Image]

Good one! Deerslayer and I were talking about that the other day. Typically at this time of the year, they turn into mush with the ground being frozen, but this winter, it seems like all of the turnips have grown to a huge size.
Maybe we should have a biggest turnip contest. :D

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The soil temps are starting to rise. I am seeing temps around 44 degs during the day which means that the soil organisms are coming out from their winter nap and things are fixin to grow. I have been working on a few new products that are soil enhancers or soil amendments. These are liquids that are sprayed on your yard, food plots, trees, pastures and garden. You annual savings on fertilizer will be 50% and your soil will be improved by the introduction of soil bacteria, humic acid to aid in breaking down toxins in the soil and to improve drought tolerance, a readily available blend of N-P-K for plant uptake, and a bio-stimulant to accelerate the plant growth, plant yield and increase protein content. My test plots are showing protein contents contained in wheat and oats in excess of 31%. I am starting to spray wheat fields and bermuda pastures now to increase their yield and increase their root structure to aid in drought tolerance. If anyone is interested in this shoot me a PM.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ran across a deer chow at the Mid-South Hunting and Tackle Show a couple weeks ago that caught my eye. I read their literature and talked with the owner about his products. I was skeptical at first, but the more that I talked with him the more it became apparent that he had done his homework. He offered me a bag of his "Pro Antler" open range 20% deer feed,Hi protein plus minerals. The brand is NUTRA DEER, the website is nutradeer.com. I took the feed and a bag of his mineral mix. I was particularly interested in his mineral mix. I put out, on 4 different occasions, the Pro Antler feed to see IF the deer would accept it or not. I have tried, over the years, various brands of hi protein deer feed on my resident herd to see what their acceptance level was. One brand they would not touch at all and a few brands they would accept but not at first. It had to be mixed with something they were familiar with. My herd hit this sample and licked the bowl clean, not once but all four times. The last time was tonight. I was sitting on my tractor,while it was running, and I had two teenagers working with me, splitting and loading firewood. Those deer wanted to get to that food and there was no one going to stop them. They were gonna get to the pile whether we were working or not. This really got my attention. They normally are a little shy about coming in when I am that close. This is good stuff and I would recommend that you all give it a try.

I took the bag of NUTRA DEER mineral to my farm while I was there during the varmint hunt with OKHUNTER, and the rest of the crew. I wanted to see what that herd's acceptance level was. I put it out in the afternoon in my established lick and checked it next morning. Normally, it takes the deer 2-3 days to find it and consume some, particularly a new product. Not this time, they hit it the first morning and hit it harder the second day. I am headed down to the Farm this next weekend to do a controlled burn and I am anxious to see what they have done to that bag of mineral. I anticipate that it will show some heavy usage. I will report back on my finding. I think this product is a winner. NUTRA DEER"S contact information is 63901 East 290 Road, Grove,Okla. 74344, 1-866-466-5738, nutradeer.com.

Latest posts

Top Bottom