Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big-triple-d

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like about 1/2 the hay is gone. I have pics of deer nosing around in it. I think this weekend I will do another bale and bag of all grain mix at each farm. The feeders are about out so I will consolidate to one feeder and alfalfa hay and grain mix at each farm until the spring green up. Hopefully we will have rain this year and I can get some food plots put in.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have heard all of the reported story's of deer gorging on molasses. Works great for cattle, but putting out some alfalfa square bales in my area, gets no results. I've poured the molasses on the alfalfa bales that have been broken open, and saw no results of deer eating them.

Again, I'll say that what happens in my area that is covered in agriculture, may not happen in areas that are heavily wooded with little food other than browse.

Swine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did a test this past season with 5 piles of corn.... poured different liquid bait attractants on each one and watched. Nothing would touch the molasses. Funny thing was what they did eat first and the most was PIGOUT. Of course the hogs ate everything.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have my soil sample results back. Middle of March I will spread fertilizer and soil amendments and work the ground. Then in April plant my food plots. Right now I am laying out my new plot areas to figure square footage for fertilizer rates and seeding rates. I will also be deciding what I will plant.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Atta boy!!! Dusty. My deer are in fine shape with lots of high protein and I will soon be doing the same. It is time for the antlers to start dropping AND time to get your mineral licks freshened. The does are pregnant and they need the extra mineral to build healthy fawns after last years drought. Get -R- DUN.

Latest posts

Top Bottom