Home remodeling project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you use

• High quality carpet

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Hardwood of some sort

Votes: 21 87.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The most awesome floor I ever experienced was in the home we rented for 4 years in Germany. It was terracotta tile with hot water radiant heat. If I ever build a home outside of the AZ dessert, I'm voting for ceramic tile and electric radiant heat in bathrooms (if compatible). We currently have engineered hardwood in most living areas and the kitchen, carpet in bedrooms (dislike both for different reasons), and sealed stone in the bathrooms (really sensitive to scoring by acids).

FWIW: I voted for "Hardwood of some sort" with ceramic "hardwood" in mind. Consider looking into radiant heat.

ETA: By radiant heat, I meant "makes the tile warm in the winter to treat your toes"; not to heat the room, like the home in Germany.
We have one friend with a heated floor in his shop that is incredible and another with a heated floor SE of OKC. Both said the cost of installation was a little high, but the benefits paid for it in comfort.
I seriously doubt we will ever build a new home but if by chance we did, it will have heated floors.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since you have nice tile in bath in kitchen already, I think the best option would be the engineered wood look plank flooring. Usually the slabs are flat enough but you may need a little leveling compound but that's not a big deal.
Best way to figure that out is to set up a laser and go around the room with a stick and see if anything is more than a 1/4" different and mark the high and low spots.
I set a marble on it...didn't move LOL

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a property claims adjuster who has seen a lot of different types of water claims, I recommend the wood look ceramic tile and then LPV.

Even people who have a clean house usually have nasty carpet and/or pad.

I’ve also actually had the wood look ceramic in one of my houses and it’s much better than carpet.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a property claims adjuster who has seen a lot of different types of water claims, I recommend the wood look ceramic tile and then LPV.

Even people who have a clean house usually have nasty carpet and/or pad.

I’ve also actually had the wood look ceramic in one of my houses and it’s much better than carpet.
Not worried about water damage, if it happened the floors would be the least of my worries. My last house had an almost white carpet, high grade but never once in 17 years did anyone walk past the garage door with shoes on. When I sold it that carpet looked new. Buy damn, white carpet with red OK dirt outside

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not worried about water damage, if it happened the floors would be the least of my worries. My last house had an almost white carpet, high grade but never once in 17 years did anyone walk past the garage door with shoes on. When I sold it that carpet looked new. Buy damn, white carpet with red OK dirt outside
So why don't you get @Ready_fire_aim put laminates in for you? Could be over in two days if has even average skills. He's a handyman. He can probably work for 400 a day in the end.

Latest posts

Top Bottom